Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hooligan hooligan by the thousands

Default hooligan hooligan by the thousands

went to deshka yesterday the 30th the hooligan were on the gravel bar right across the deshka river we were getting a half net every scoop
    I also caught a nice chrome king 15lbs fished for about 3 hrs

Default Hooligan in the Susitna drainage by the ton.

I never have really understood why so many people waste their time going to the 20 mile river to dip hooligan. The Susitna river system has areas that you could fill a pickup bed with fish in a few hours. I have seen videos on youtube where they were catching them by hand, they were so thick.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Ok, so on that note, is there any place with road access and shore dipping for those of us without a boat? I would make the trip, I just don't know if it's feasible from shore.

Coho Slayer. I've done just as well on the Kenai from Centenial Park at the same timing. I've dipped the Big Su as a side trip for something to do. The dipping is also great on the Kenai from shore.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Ok, so on that note, is there any place with road access and shore dipping for those of us without a boat?
    I have heard that the mouth of Willow Creek can be great, but I haven't done it personally.

Default Hooligan

As of tonight (31st ) no hooligan above Big Eddy yet. Last year they showed at my house on June 1st. Should be soon .

Thanks for the info, guys.

Family and I took a run down to the Yetna on the 23rd and pulled our small share in 20 minutes. I won't be hitting 20 mile again after that trip. The rest of the day we spent trying to pull a king out of the Deshka but had no luck. We did see a couple landed though.

Do you guys use them for bait or eating if so how do you cook them.

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    Coho Slayer. I've done just as well on the Kenai from Centenial Park at the same timing.
    I thought the Kenai was closed for these fish.

Nope, Kenai is open for hooligan.

On that note, any sign of them yet?

Default wrong place wrong time?

Like one other poster we went down to Seward after hearing on the hooligan hotline that hooligan dipping was very successful in the Resurrection River, but only fair at Twenty Mile. We tried Nash Rd, the creek under the little bridge a few yards down the street (where locals had told us to try), and along the road to Exit glacier, where the ranger pointed us. No hooligan, but some people pulled out some mighty nice reds. Someone in the forum mentioned that a run comes to Willow and the Big Su - can anyone help with more directions and possibly when? The AK state fishing report does not mention hooligan up here. Any help is huuuuugely appreciated.... we really need a hooligan picker upper.

Ok, so on that note, is there any place with road access and shore dipping for those of us without a boat? I would make the trip, I just don't know if it's feasible from shore.
    Brian is correct you can catch them at willow creek park.
    I have done it for years. But I am out of town this year.

Quote Originally Posted by kww View Post
    Like one other poster we went down to Seward after hearing on the hooligan hotline that hooligan dipping was very successful in the Resurrection River, but only fair at Twenty Mile. We tried Nash Rd, the creek under the little bridge a few yards down the street (where locals had told us to try), and along the road to Exit glacier, where the ranger pointed us. No hooligan, but some people pulled out some mighty nice reds. Someone in the forum mentioned that a run comes to Willow and the Big Su - can anyone help with more directions and possibly when? The AK state fishing report does not mention hooligan up here. Any help is huuuuugely appreciated.... we really need a hooligan picker upper.
    FWIW, Twentymile is hot right now. We got 4 buckets last night in about an hour. PM me for my "spot" and I'll try to describe how to find it. It takes a little effort (roughly 1/2 mile hike each way).

Post some pictures, guys!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crab_n_fish View Post
    Post some pictures, guys!!!!!

Here you go!!!!

OOPS Sorry, Wrong Hooligans!!!!!!

Thanks guys.

Default What do you do with them all.

FWIW, Twentymile is hot right now. We got 4 buckets last night in about an hour. PM me for my "spot" and I'll try to describe how to find it. It takes a little effort (roughly 1/2 mile hike each way).

Man you really got me wondering. What do you do with 4 buckets of Hooligans. Give me some ideas. I prefer to use herring for Halibut bait.

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    Man you really got me wondering. What do you do with 4 buckets of Hooligans. Give me some ideas.

Find that one Jewish family living like Moses out in the bush -- that's what
    ya do! Since candles are an option to lighting the menorah during (C)hannakuh they can use hooligan instead!

Oh, hahahaha @ Drifter! That was a great response!

Here is some pics for ya last year dipping right before you get to the deshka 2 guys dipping for 45 minutes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast