Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: hooligan hooligan by the thousands

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    32

    Default hooligan hooligan by the thousands

    went to deshka yesterday the 30th the hooligan were on the gravel bar right across the deshka river we were getting a half net every scoop
    I also caught a nice chrome king 15lbs fished for about 3 hrs

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    260

    Default Hooligan in the Susitna drainage by the ton.

    I never have really understood why so many people waste their time going to the 20 mile river to dip hooligan. The Susitna river system has areas that you could fill a pickup bed with fish in a few hours. I have seen videos on youtube where they were catching them by hand, they were so thick.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

  3. #3
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Ok, so on that note, is there any place with road access and shore dipping for those of us without a boat? I would make the trip, I just don't know if it's feasible from shore.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Coho Slayer. I've done just as well on the Kenai from Centenial Park at the same timing. I've dipped the Big Su as a side trip for something to do. The dipping is also great on the Kenai from shore.

  5. #5
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Ok, so on that note, is there any place with road access and shore dipping for those of us without a boat?
    I have heard that the mouth of Willow Creek can be great, but I haven't done it personally.

  6. #6
    Member Roland on the River's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Hooligan

    As of tonight (31st ) no hooligan above Big Eddy yet. Last year they showed at my house on June 1st. Should be soon .

  7. #7
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Thanks for the info, guys.

  8. #8

    Default

    Family and I took a run down to the Yetna on the 23rd and pulled our small share in 20 minutes. I won't be hitting 20 mile again after that trip. The rest of the day we spent trying to pull a king out of the Deshka but had no luck. We did see a couple landed though.

  9. #9
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,424

    Default

    Do you guys use them for bait or eating if so how do you cook them.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    Coho Slayer. I've done just as well on the Kenai from Centenial Park at the same timing.
    I thought the Kenai was closed for these fish.

  11. #11
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Nope, Kenai is open for hooligan.

    On that note, any sign of them yet?

  12. #12

    Default wrong place wrong time?

    Like one other poster we went down to Seward after hearing on the hooligan hotline that hooligan dipping was very successful in the Resurrection River, but only fair at Twenty Mile. We tried Nash Rd, the creek under the little bridge a few yards down the street (where locals had told us to try), and along the road to Exit glacier, where the ranger pointed us. No hooligan, but some people pulled out some mighty nice reds. Someone in the forum mentioned that a run comes to Willow and the Big Su - can anyone help with more directions and possibly when? The AK state fishing report does not mention hooligan up here. Any help is huuuuugely appreciated.... we really need a hooligan picker upper.

  13. #13
    Member big_dog60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    between wasilla and palmer
    Posts
    1,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Ok, so on that note, is there any place with road access and shore dipping for those of us without a boat? I would make the trip, I just don't know if it's feasible from shore.
    Brian is correct you can catch them at willow creek park.
    I have done it for years. But I am out of town this year.

  14. #14
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kww View Post
    Like one other poster we went down to Seward after hearing on the hooligan hotline that hooligan dipping was very successful in the Resurrection River, but only fair at Twenty Mile. We tried Nash Rd, the creek under the little bridge a few yards down the street (where locals had told us to try), and along the road to Exit glacier, where the ranger pointed us. No hooligan, but some people pulled out some mighty nice reds. Someone in the forum mentioned that a run comes to Willow and the Big Su - can anyone help with more directions and possibly when? The AK state fishing report does not mention hooligan up here. Any help is huuuuugely appreciated.... we really need a hooligan picker upper.
    FWIW, Twentymile is hot right now. We got 4 buckets last night in about an hour. PM me for my "spot" and I'll try to describe how to find it. It takes a little effort (roughly 1/2 mile hike each way).

  15. #15
    Member Crab_n_fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, Alaska
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Post some pictures, guys!!!!!

  16. #16
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crab_n_fish View Post
    Post some pictures, guys!!!!!

    Here you go!!!!





    OOPS Sorry, Wrong Hooligans!!!!!!

  17. #17

    Default

    Thanks guys.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    590

    Default What do you do with them all.

    Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    FWIW, Twentymile is hot right now. We got 4 buckets last night in about an hour. PM me for my "spot" and I'll try to describe how to find it. It takes a little effort (roughly 1/2 mile hike each way).

    Man you really got me wondering. What do you do with 4 buckets of Hooligans. Give me some ideas. I prefer to use herring for Halibut bait.

  19. #19
    Member Crab_n_fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, Alaska
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    Man you really got me wondering. What do you do with 4 buckets of Hooligans. Give me some ideas.

    Find that one Jewish family living like Moses out in the bush -- that's what
    ya do! Since candles are an option to lighting the menorah during (C)hannakuh they can use hooligan instead!

    Oh, hahahaha @ Drifter! That was a great response!

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Here is some pics for ya last year dipping right before you get to the deshka 2 guys dipping for 45 minutes




Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •