Thread: Help a kid out

Default Help a kid out

I wish I had embarked on the great northern adventure in my early years. I desperately wanted to go fishing on a commercial boat, then take my $$$ and go out to hunt the wild. I think I still have the brochure I got in spring of my freshman year in college describing the fortune to be made on the big boats. Instead, I became a mountain guide in the lower 48 and have since gone back to my origins in carpentry and contracting. In the passing years I have started a family with two great kids and an awesome wife. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't want to move to AK and with the kids I can't afford to go just yet. So, I am doing the next best thing... helping someone else to go.
    Among other jobs I work p/t at the gun dept. of a locally owned outdoor store here in CO. (Think L.L. Bean with Military Surplus). In the past year I've had the pleasure to work with some very talented and enthusiastic young guys, several of them are going to AK for the summer. We all hunt together here in CO and the surrounding states and have developed a great network of friends, everyone willing to be a designated pack mule for the others as circumstances dictate. With one exception, a nice 5 point bull elk, we all struck out last year. At my urging, each one of these guys is bringing a rifle to AK this summer in hopes of finding the $ and the time to pursue Caribou and/or Moose when the summer jobs are done. Joe and Bryan will be panning for gold near Fairbanks (Hey, you gotta get your ***** kicked at least once in life), and Murph will be fishing out of Dillingham with plans to meet up in August.
    I am starting this thread to see if anyone might have some specific information about how to obtain tags at the last minute. In CO it seems you need to know secret passwords, codes, and handshakes to even find out which tags are available, but you only learn those after years of experience. These guys are not out for world record trophies and they don't want to steal your favorite hunting spot; they want the experience of hunting in the wilds of AK. Any help in directing the search for information would be greatly appreciated. If anyone wants to hunt in CO I would be happy to help in any way. Thanks

Moose, caribou, black bear, and blacktail deer tags are all over the counter and do not require a guide for non-residents. There are hunts all over Alaska that you can do without having a special draw tag.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

yeah pretty much just go to the store and buy them. Tons of people stop in literally on their way to hunt to buy last minute license pick up another harvest tag for a different species "just in case" or whatever AK is neat Walmart even sells pistols here. <grin>

If I was coming up here with a bunch of buds then I would talk w/ homerdave here on the forum and plan on chasing black bears. He can drop you off w/ his boat and get you set up pretty good. Bou is best to fly out and in your situation moose would be too. It is unlikely that you will have much success trying to hunt the road system here without having the opportunity to do a lot of research and physically explore. Black bears offer the opportunity for your entire hunting party to connect which is rare in this state. Archery bou is is another good opportunity on the haul road but it is logistically much more challenging than black bears. The other choice would be to plan a float hunt. For that I recommend contacting Mike Strahan here on the forum, he is a professional hunt planner and specializes in float hunting. Well worth the fee to get the kind of information he can provide. In my opinion it will probably save you more money in the long run to hire a planner than try and go it blind.

Thanks for the info. These guys are all in their early 20's and therefore willing to wing it, I am just trying to encourage them to learn as much as possible from research beforehand. I wish I was going, but I would rather spend the money to do it right for several species than go up there and make a whole bunch of mistakes. I guess time is more on their side than mine. Plus, I can send a rifle up with them and learn from their experience. 99.9% of the folks on this forum seem like real stand up guys, so I know you will treat them well.