Thread: Nice fish caught at the Deshka

Default Nice fish caught at the Deshka

We stopped by the Deshka yesterday on our way back from the bait stations around 11:30am. Not too many people fishing and looked pretty slow. Then we heard some happy shouting just up-river from Mike and Merts and a gentleman was pulling in a King. He landed it, they took it to shore and it weighed in at just under 61 LBS! (According to them). I understand it was they guys birthday.

Nice present!

Wow!!!! What a nice King! Here is another report from the Deshka:

http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/...lerreport.html

ANGLER: King Kong
    TRIP DATE: 5/31
    REGION: Matsu Valley
    WATER: Deshka River & Montana Creek
    SPECIES: King Salmon

REPORT: A 51.2 pound King was caught on the Deshka River at around 10:30am. It was weighed in at the Deshka Landing on the official King Derby Scale and photographed, but the angler didn't have a derby ticket.
    Montana Creek has Kings up to the Railroad bridge, but they are moving up stream fast.

Mahays reports two Kings were caught by guides at Clear Creek two days ago.

The Kings are showing up a bit early. The water on all Parks Highway streams is excellent right now.

[AOJ: In spite of the severe restrictions on the Deshka this year its still possible to pull a derby winner from its waters as long as you are fishing SAT/SUN/MON (keeper days). The Matsu Derby started Saturday May 30th and runs through July 6th. Their website is www.PSEAKingDerby.com]

I was just sent a picture of the 60# king that was just caught on the Deshka..
    it was blood red and looked like it had been in fresh water for quite awhile.. Im sure it is the same fish that Judd posted about cuz the title to the email is chucks birthday..
    I can send it to someone that knows how to post such things..

Here's the pic that Slimm sent me.
    Looks a little stiff if you ask me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

......Called Montanna Creek Tackle Cache, after I read the report of kings being up to the bridge, on Alaska Outdoor Journal, Sunday. They said that they hadn't seen, or heard of any Kings being in the creek, yet. There were, however, a couple caught at the mouth of the Kashwitna, a little further south.

Many Thanks Drifter,, Yea that fish looks plenty stiff and dried out..
    seems kind of odd that it is so red already,, anybody know how long they have to be in fresh water to get that red??

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    Many Thanks Drifter,, Yea that fish looks plenty stiff and dried out..
    seems kind of odd that it is so red already,, anybody know how long they have to be in fresh water to get that red??

Just because the fish is red doesn't mean that it has been in fresh water long... These fish can mature in dalt water then make their fresh water entrance.... Late run Kenai fish are a prime example.... It is interesting that this early in the season this fish has this much color though... Maybe, their is a population that is a early spawning component... It is likely that even though the fish was blush in the outside the meat was very frim and red.

Thanks TYNMON,, I guess that explains why most all the fish i see at the lagoon on the spit are blushing,, I have always been under the impression that they had to be in fresh before they turned..

Default So did I until...

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    Thanks TYNMON,, I guess that explains why most all the fish i see at the lagoon on the spit are blushing,, I have always been under the impression that they had to be in fresh before they turned..
    I used the think the same thing until I started fishing a saltwater terminal hatchery release area. I've caught dang near black colored kings that aren't anywhere near a creek.

Default Uh oh! Fish...er fight on!

The moderator @ Alaska Outdoors will not tolerate false or
    misleading angler-submitted fishing reports...He updated the page today
    with a warning (His comments in parenthesis and with initials AOJ):

ANGLER: bigfishman
    TRIP DATE: 5/30
    REGION: Matsu Valley
    WATER: Deshka River
    SPECIES: King

REPORT: Fishing was good in early morning. A monster 61.3 pounder was caught and weighed by a buddy of mine on saturday. I landed a nice one as well as a few members in my crew. Fun morning.

[AOJ: Sorry but I must do this. HOW MANY OF YOU OUT THERE BELIEVE THIS REPORT? OK, here is the way I usually handle these things. I go to the derby website and see there is a 51 pounder weighed on Saturday, no derby ticket. I see there is a 54 pounder weighed on Monday, no derby ticket. The reference to the 61 pounder on SATURDAY would have been all over some kind of news media - tv, newspaper, websites, landing fish boards, whatever. Notta. Then the reference to "I landed a nice one" doesn't detail any size....should have been pretty big since it was a "nice" one.

And the reference to "a few of my crew??" landed fish as well. How many, how big? What crew? You on a Coast Guard boat? Anyway folks, when your reports come in like this one, 99% unbelievable and fully undocumented (pics, fish board listings, etc.) they all end up in FILE 13 next to my desk. Reader confidence in the credibility of this information is the one and only goal of AOJ. I apologize to the very few who may have submitted unbelievable reports that I just couldn't print without some additional documentation. Like the guy who went and fished out in the Aleutians and caught a six foot long PIKE that they named Mike. I wasn't born yesterday guys and NOW you know why the reports are not auto-posted.

The list would be worthless in short order. So keep the GOOD STUFF COMING and seriously folks, if you have an incredible (unbelievable) story send me some photos. The entire readership would LOVE TO SEE THEM TOO~!!! Thanx for understanding. -Klondike Kid-]

--
    Maybe we need to send that fish picture to AOJ? I would....I understand his frustration.
    Last edited by Crab_n_fish; 06-02-2009 at 19:09. Reason: editing!

Quote Originally Posted by Crab_n_fish View Post
    The moderator @ Alaska Outdoors will not tolerate false or
    misleading angler-submitted fishing reports....

By the way, that is a nice salmon. The moderator still hasn't updated his
    page, but it looks like your friend will make the front page now!!! *Sweet*

I do feel AOJ has had problems in the past, having to deal with braggarts, liars and other chaff who make unsubstantiated claims. He is in the "right," and should be so. It was also brought to my attention all the liars
    who are bragging about the Ninilchik River/Deep Creek salmon run, for I
    have first-hand information from my cousin who is currently residing there,
    fishing it locally and out in Cook Inlet when he's not working. Plus his neighbors at the cabin next door to his, on the campgrounds at www.afishunt.com , either fish with him or have been on the river or creek by themselves with their own eyewitness reports....The Kings are coming in slooooooow! Very few fish caught...

I called my buddy that sent me the email,, and told him about what KK wrote,,and i think he is going to send him a couple of pic's and the story..
    Can't blame KK for for calling BS.. If i would have gotten that pic from anybody else other than the guy that sent it i would not beleive it either..

http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/...lerreport.html

KK, is "eating crow" it looks like the story is true.

I thought KK's explanation was pretty cool. I like that there's a filter and he's worried about people blowing their food money to go catch fish on bad reports.

I wouldn't even call it eating crow, as he did. He apologized and posted the report. If anything, he was just doing a good job at what he does.

And aren't we all wondering about those reports about good runs at this point? Maybe a few unscrupulous folks trying to drum up business?