Thread: Grizzly brakes

Default Grizzly brakes

The issue is this: I have an 04 Grizzly 660. When braking, the rear brakes make a very noticeable clicking sound and they won't hold very well at all. This only happens when braking down steep grades or from faster speeds. The front brakes seem ok, but they don't hold very well either but the clicking is from the rear. Should the brakes on a 660 be able to hold on steep inclines because mine does not hold very well. I realize that "steep" is vague, sorry. The disks are good and no, there are no sticks in the brakes. I brought the machine to the Yamaha dealer in Wasilla to have it checked out and the guy there told me that was normal. I suspect otherwise. Any ideas? Does this happen to anyone else?
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

I have an 08 Griz 550. If I want to hold position on a steep slope I have to hold down the foot brake as well as the front wheel handle brake. So it may be normal. Have not noticed the clicking sound though.

Default Brakes???

Quote Originally Posted by ksbha4 View Post
    The issue is this: I have an 04 Grizzly 660. When braking, the rear brakes make a very noticeable clicking sound and they won't hold very well at all. This only happens when braking down steep grades or from faster speeds. The front brakes seem ok, but they don't hold very well either but the clicking is from the rear. Should the brakes on a 660 be able to hold on steep inclines because mine does not hold very well. I realize that "steep" is vague, sorry. The disks are good and no, there are no sticks in the brakes. I brought the machine to the Yamaha dealer in Wasilla to have it checked out and the guy there told me that was normal. I suspect otherwise. Any ideas? Does this happen to anyone else?
    This might be a dumb question, but are you in 2WD or 4WD when the back brakes are not holding? Also have somebody follow you and watch your brake light. I see this quite often, people dont even know they are doing it but they are on and off the brake while they ride. Could cause the rear brake to heat up and therefore not allowing it to work properly when needed. Does it happen at the start of a ride or just after you have been riding for a while.

I own two Grizz 660's, an 06 and an 07 and have not had any problems with the brakes.
    -Caleb-

The foot brake feels mushy when the handbrake is depressed. I have been in 2wd and noticed the clicking when slowing down from fast speeds on the trail straightaways, and 4wd when going up steep up and down grades. I've checked the brake light and it comes on when its supposed to. That clicking drives me nuts. So I guess when I've noticed it is when it's warmed up after I've ridden for a while.
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

When you are in 4WD trying to stop wit the rear brake it takes alot more effort. Due to the rear only having 1 small disk brake to stop all 4 tires. If you use the front brakes at least there are 2 disks trying to stop the machine. As far as the brake light, I was just wondering if you are one of those riders that ride the rear brake on accident (without knowing it).

While on steep grades in 4WD trying to come to a stop and stay at a stop using only your rear brakes, probably will not perform as well, due to the one small disk in the rear.

As far as the clicking, it seems like my machine will do that also from higher speeds, but I didnt really think it was coming from the brakes, I thought it was coming from the differential, due to the disk brake actually being on your drive shaft and not at each wheel. You are trying to stop the drive shaft which kinda reverses the backlash in your rear differential. While under power yo are putting pressure on one side of the gears and while braking (with this style of brake) you slow the drive shaft and allow the gears to catch up and put pressure on the other side of the teeth. And this could cause a chatter.
    Last edited by Noble Killer; 05-31-2009 at 13:27. Reason: added more
    -Caleb-

Default Mushy

Quote Originally Posted by ksbha4 View Post
    The foot brake feels mushy when the handbrake is depressed.
    The foot brake will feel mushy with the left hand brake depressed, because they operate the same brake. The brake fluid reservoir is located down by your foot brake (for the rear brake) your left handbrake is just a cable running down that attaches to the foot brake.
    -Caleb-

Interesting note on the drive shaft/differental gear thought. I didn't think of that but that makes some sense. I will have to pay closer attention when going down steep grades to try to determine exact location of the clicking. Also, your note on the 4 vs 2 wheel was something that I didn't take into consideration so I will test going down hill in 2 and 4wd and see if that makes a difference as to when I hear the clicking. I don't ride the brake but I know what you're talking about and have seen others doing that. So I can assume that the noise is just a part of the machine doing it's thing and not worry too much about it. I appreciate your help, thanks

Default Braking

I tend to use all my brakes together (front and rear) whether I am in 2 or 4WD. Makes stopping more controlled.
    -Caleb-

Default 07 700

I have no problem stopping with either brake and do not have any noise when I do. Check with big lake yamaha.

I have an 02 griz and my buddie has an 02 and 07. The clicking noise is more than likely the tranny backshifting. It is a normal noise. As far as the brakes go, if the pads are good then just bleed them and adjust the cable. Remember, the foot brake is the same as the left hand so if you have the left hand pulled the foot will feel mushy and vice versa. My brakes hold fine on steep trails even with a heavy trailer.