Thread: Karluk Steelhead, October

Default Karluk Steelhead, October

Looking to float the Karluk in Mid October this fall for steelhead. Will be a post deployment trip for some buddies and I. Most information I find about this river is from outfitters. I understand it's native land along most of the river (22 miles I believe?) and that you can only camp in three different sites. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Would like to turn this into a multiple day trip.

Any information from some who has floated it would be great.

Also any outfitter reccomendations?

Any success stories?

Maybe someone has another river they would reccomend over this one.

We'd like to take a week long trip focusing on specifically Alaskan run steelhead.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cody

There is no better river for fishing Silvers and Steelhead. We always stayed at the Hotel midway, It was military years ago, don't know who controls it now. We would stay for a week, the Duck shooting is good also at that time.
    We would see who could tie the ugliest fly, that would "NOT" catch a fish, no one ever succeeded. Even a plain halibut hook, would catch silvers on the first cast. In fact landing the shot ducks, with a single hook, if the hook got near the surface, it would get a strike. The weather can be Clear and crisp, or wet, and/or cold. Note: This was in the 70's and 80's and we want many years, always awesome, truely awesome.....

Default Call Dean...

At Andrew Airways. Dean can tell you everything you need to know and is the best way to get there also. (907) 487 - 2566. No - I don't work there!

Thank you for the info!

we were there last october 30th- november 10th.....only saw one steelhead and maybe 3 silvers, but we werent fishing anyways....we were hunting deer and bear.....lotsa good deer hunting to be had.... and the weather is pretty unpredictable.