Thread: Trailer mods

Default Trailer mods

I am getting a new (to me) aluminum trailer. It is set up great for sleds but I think it will leave much to be desired for hauling wheelers. It just doesn't seem to have the lashing points that I would like. I am thinking of having it dropped at Greatland welding so they can add some to it. I figured I would check in here and see if anyone had done something similar and what ideas you all had.

Default eyebolts

1/2" eyebolts and 2 locking nuts. Attachment points wherever you want. Drill 1/2" hole, bolt on and you're done.

We used eye bolts on our trailer as well. Works great for us.
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

hmmm, eye bolts huh. Yeah that will get the job done but I was kind of hoping for something with a bit more of a factory look. Are you just bolting through the decking or are you going to the frame?

BTW I am totally stoked after watching craigslist for months I finally found a good aluminum trailer for under a grand and was able to snatch it up! It seemed last year the going rate was about $1200 with some down to the $1100 range. This year they are all $1300-$1500! Aparently they were selling at that price too because they dissappeared as fast as they were posted too!

I bolted 4 D-rings on my trailer deck and they work great. I've been using them for going 3 years now and have had no issues with them at all. When the snow starts to fall and the wheelers are put away I take them off. If you decide to go this route I recommend that you use a big washer underneath so the bolts don't pull through.

6000# rating for $9.99 each.

Flush mount D ring
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I thought about using those but I didn't want to drill big holes in my trailer so I ended up using just the plain d-ring that sits atop the trailer deck. If you do get the one Rob mentioned, make sure you use bolts and not screws, screws will pull right out of your plywood and could send your wheeler flying off the trailer.

I have been doing some poking around the web and I will need to get some measurements on the rails but I think I have found my ultimate solution! I will have to do some measuring but these may be perfect. If I do go this way I think I will just drag the whole thing over to Greatland and have them weld the tracks across the front and back.

How's that going to work for snowmachines, assuming you have some?

e-track and the straps and rings available for them are the great solution. They come in 10 ft strips so you need two for a 10 ft trailer. Trailer craft has great prices on the track and lots of the various straps and rings also. Very easy to install and looks professional. having used the other systems this is the way to go. Run the tracks front to back so you can put the rings wherever you want. google e track system and you can see all the accessories
    Last edited by akexpress34; 06-03-2009 at 14:35. Reason: added more info

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    How's that going to work for snowmachines, assuming you have some?
    I do have one sled, and hoping to pick up a used M7 or 8 over the summer if I can score a deal. I was thinking about that and I have come up with a couple solutions. I figure the carbides may just eat up any aluminum and that would kind of suck. I could just install glides and leave a gap the width of them on the back of the trailer. Depending on if there is space around the light though I may have them notch the back rail and install one of these flush versions.

Why don't you run them the length of the trailer instead of across? A friend of mine has those on his trailer and that's how his is setup, works pretty good too. It would be nice to be able to move those attacing points to where you need them. How do you attach those things to your trailer? I don't see any holes where you can bolt it down.

Default tie downs

i know this thread is kinda stale, but, if youre still checkin it Lu, i got some input. mine is used for 2 ranchers, 2 skidoos, and an 18 ft aire cat, with simple additions. i put semi flush mount rings front and rear centerline of each wheeler and inverted J hooks on the outside of the trailer. to beef up the deck rings i simply cut squares of 3/4 marine plywood and backed the factory 1/2 inch. 3 years of service with no failure or more importantly no change needed season to season.