Thread: Best for Floats, Skis, tires?

Default Best for Floats, Skis, tires?

What would you say is the best all around plane that does it all? Tried to look at some old posts and didn't have much luck. Keeping the budget under say 65K.

Super Cub, but you would not find a decent one with floats, skies, and tires for $65k. There has been a Super Stinson with an 0-470 for sale with floats for $55k I think for quite awhile. I haven't seen it personally but I have heard the Super Stinson's perform well. Otherwise you would have to go to a PA-11 or something around that range.

Shane

I forgot to mention a PA-12. A good plane and you might find a decent one in your price range with all the goodies.

Shane

It also depends on just what you want to do with it. I have been flying assorted types of Cubs for a couple decades and they have some drawbacks. While Cubs are nice for bush work, they have limitations such as very limited internal room, fairly low crusie speeds and burn a lot of gas per mile compared to some faster birds.
    Whenever I am flying a Cub it seems like all the business calls come in for multi -person tourist trips. If I am flying a Spam Can, they seem to want one person on a duck pond...

Some of the spam can type aircraft can make up for their long take-off and landing runs by hauling more junk, faster and further.

It depends on what you think you need to do with it.

Hauling one goat hunter at a time to some ridge-line 4 wheeler trail? Then a Super Cub or modified PA-12 is your ticket.

Hauling two or three people and all their junk out for a bear viewing trip? Maybe a C-180, 185 or way better yet a Helio Courier on Floats would be the way to go.

For lots of room at an OK price, it is hard to beat an old Aeronca Sedan on floats. They have a back seat like an old British Taxi-Cab.

If you are married and have kids, you will find that women folk seem to have some rather ridgid ideas of just how big an aircraft interior should be and just where they have to sit.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default not really sure

I guess like everything else. I want the one that can do it all. I'm really thinking that I want something that is in the middle of the road. I would like something that is able to carry some weight and still get into some tighter spots. 2 people and gear or 3 people and gear. Just not sure and not really sure what are the right questions to ask. Thats why I'm looking for a little help for the experts here. What do you have and what are its pros and cons or what do you wish that you had and why? Thanks for all of the help.

Default Cessna 180

The best buy on the market now adays. Put in your time with one. There are folks around who can wiggle them in and out awful short.
    Cubs are un-beatable for what they do but notso for most "family" flying. Gonna be pretty hard to haul 3 and gear in one.
    Also getting in and out of a "short" strip is in the eye of the beholder alot of the time. IE is short to you 300' or 700' or is it 1500' ????
    If its 700 or 1500 get a cheap 180, I'd say. Fly it a bunch and you're in.
    Good luck and if you just get an airplane for now and fly a bunch you will know exactly what your second airplane will be after 6 months.....
    Or just own 2........

Default Helio Super Courier H-295

Look at the Helio Super Courier H-295, rugged airplane that get's off very short, hauls a load, great on floats, ski's and is relatively inexpensive to operate..

Quote Originally Posted by mrhelio View Post
    Look at the Helio Super Courier H-295, rugged airplane that get's off very short, hauls a load, great on floats, ski's and is relatively inexpensive to operate..
    good luck finding one for 65,000!
    Tim