Thread: New To AK and Boating and Looking For A Boat

Default New To AK and Boating and Looking For A Boat

I'm looking at purchasing a boat a sometime this summer, the thing is I'm not really sure what style to get. I've been in AK for a year and absolutely love it and want to experience more of it. I have very little boating experience so I'm looking for a safe boat that will be reliable for both rivers and lakes. I plan on using the boat for fishing and hunting and will most likely stay in the smaller rivers but would like to hit some of the larger lakes for both hunting and fishing. The boat would be used for mainly 2 people but occasionally up to 4. I know my wish list is long but I'm really just trying to get an idea of what I need and what my price range will be so that I can start counting the pennies and working on the wife to loosen the purse strings. As of right now I'm leaning towards a 14' semi-v with a 25 hp outboard.

Jon

A 14' semi-v with a 25 hp outboard will limit you to lakes and a few deep-slow rivers. It will also be tough to fish four people or take hunting gear few more than day trips. There are a ton of threads here on what boats are good for what and a few that address multi-purpose boats. I would recommend that you think really hard on exactly what you want to do and where you want to do it. If river running and hunting over multiple days is what you really want to do, then I would recommend an 18 jet boat, at a minimum for four folks and gear. There are so many out there, that you should be able to find one that you like and that you can afford. Look for one with a good amount of free board with you what to use it on big water as well. Boat shopping is a ton of fun, good luck and make sure that you try out as many as possible before you buy. Bigger boatitis is a truly dangerous disease and not many people are immune.

How much do you want to spend? If you give us a ballpark figure we can more easily help you choose a "best bang for the buck" boat.
    USN Seabee '90-'95, NRA Life Member

Default $$

I'm hoping to spend less than $6,000 but preferably 2-4k. I don't wan anything fancy just something to get around and catch a few fish.

Check with deweys they had some 09 16 foot v boats G3 pretty cheap they had some dents. this one is on craigs list sale-qnggt-1198956626@craigslist.org

I would look real hard at a 16' to 18' Lund. They are a versitile boat, some even halibut fish out of them. Here is one I would look at if I were in the market. With a four stroke you would not be excluded from the Kenai http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1185948273.html
    USN Seabee '90-'95, NRA Life Member

You might want to think of a fish-and-ski like mine, its a 17 foot deep V 1993 Spectrum, it does real well just about everywhere, rivers, lakes and ocean, it just doesnt have the size or range for open ocean.

I can't do the skinny water, but I spend almost all my boating time on the salt anyway

I saw another spectrum for sale on craigslist for $6K this winter, if you keep an eye out you might fine something like it.

I agree with akshrop, 18 feet with a 30 to 50 horse jet will be a great boat and will open up larger lakes and rivers yet be small enough to put you on the Little Su. In a few years I will be selling my North River jet and buying a smaller boat for the rivers and lakes and a GlacierCraft for the salt. To many places I'm excluded from by purchasing one boat to do everything.

Default Boat on C/L.

The 16ft lund on the craigslist is a decent boat for your wants but I think the motor is a little small if you want to run with 4 people(adults). I had a simular boat in the past with a DT40 horse on it and with 2 adults and 4 kids plus wood and BBQ gear it struggled and would not plane. If your gonna just have two people on board id say go for it. You would be limited though on how much weight to carry with that motor though.

If you go with atleast a 50hp engine you should be fine with that light of a boat. I believe that was the max hp for the 16ft also(50hp).

Default boat possibilities

Your post mentions looking for a safe boat mainly for smaller rivers. You wrote it would be usually for two people, but occasionally up to four.

I think an ideal boat for two people on fast moving skinny water would be an Alweld 1656 with a 25" side height, or a 1660 with 28" sides. A 50/35 for the 1656 would be good, a yamaha 60/40 jet would be excellent for the 1660. Get the V-bottom rather than a flat bottom. Outboard Jets says jetboats work better with shallow V-bottoms. The Alweld V-bottom has about a 5 degree deadrise hull, which would be excellent for a jetboat in shallow water.

The Boat Shop in Fairbanks sells Alwelds. If new is too expensive, maybe they could find you something similar that's used. Also, the best deals, new or used, are available late in the season.

Boats smaller than this are more dangerous if you were to lose power (with a clogged grate for example) and end up drifting towards snags or sweepers. Small jons with short sides are a riskier proposition for learning on fast water.

To carry four people, consider an 18 foot boat with maybe a 90/65 jet. You would like its ability to carry a substantially bigger load than the 16 foot boats.

Since you are new you might not be aware of how much gear it takes for 4 people in the country. Lots of coats, boots rain gear and snacks adds up pretty quickly. Do not try to skimp on the HP. you will need it because the rivers move fast when the rain comes down. If possible get something with a cover, even if it is canvas. have fun

I recommend a 16ft or 18ft Klamath. You can find them for fairly cheap and they are a pretty versatile boat, I had one with a Merc 35/50 4 stroke and it moved just fine with 4 people, it was an 18ft. I wish I still had it