Thread: Eagle River Flows?

Default Eagle River Flows?

What are regular summer flows for the bridge to bridge route? I have floated it a number of times but can not remember regular flows per the NOAA gauge. Any Help?

Been a while since I paid attention to the gauge, but as I recall 3.5' to 5.5' was the normal range. The gauge did change a few years ago though, so I might be wrong with it's new setting. It's close to the low end of that now, and I heard that people were getting through the right side of Campground Rapids. If you can get through there, it's enough to get through anywhere else. (Except for the put in channel at Mile 7.1.)

I prefer running the Campground section at moderately low levels, as it's more interesting. High water makes most of it easier, but the splash at the end gets bigger. The rest of the river is better at high water.

On Thursday night I floated bridge to bridge section in a 16' raft and gauge was around 4'. The water was flowing nicely. I went on the right side of Campground Rapid. It was a pretty busy night: there was a kayaker playing in Campground Rapid, another group coming down after me, and a group of about ten practicing rescue. Everyone seemed to be having a good time.

Default Eagle River Flows - Yup

Completed the Eagle River float this past Sunday (Jun7th/09). We droped in just North of North Fork and found relatively fast flow and decent level. I had read some of the commentary from 2008 since this was my first float on Eagle River and found it informative. I just wanted to add that North Fork to the First Bridge is Class II rapids but Bridge to Bridge is not Class III. Under normal circumstances this may be Class III but the large wind gusts we got last fall put a bunch of trees in. This section is bordering on Class IV due to the extra log challenges. I've had some good times on Class IV but was not expecting it so this wasn't one of them. Definately stay to the Right in this section.

I did the same run last Sunday as well. Fun time was had by all. I don't know how you can say class II for North Fork to the first (Briggs) bridge though. I didn't see anything over a weak class I. It's just about all flat water.

The left side at campground needs to be avoided until that log situation gets cleared out. Bad scene there. The right side I would still rate at class III+, but it really should be scouted first. Unless you know what's coming, it can be a real surprise.