Thread: Klutina Lake

Default Klutina Lake

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has info on Klutina Lake and how the road is to get there? Is it passable with a truck, or would ATVs be better? Is the fishing good there and would it be worth hauling up an inflateable to get off the shore?

I appreciate any info you care to pass on.

Thanks,
    Moose

my freind made it up there last fall but i dont know any details. I know it holds some Lake Trout and im sure when the Sockeye smolt start heading down river from the lake the area's around the mouth of the river would be a good spot. That is probably already taking place so now would be the time.

Good luck on getting there with any kind of motorized vehicle. Most all of that land is owned by Native Corps. and is closed to public access. We were run out of there many years ago and haven't gone back. To much trouble.

I been traveling that road since 1977 and to date have never been stopped by anyone. The road going back to the lake is a BLM trail and Ahtna can not shut it down. But they can (and did) declare it private property on both sides of the trail.
    Son and I played around on atv's for 3 days last summer and did some shooting. More than one native passed us and they just waved and said hello. Parked the RV at the trailhead and no one asked us to move either.
    Generally the road is passable by truck for the first 13 miles or so and then it gets iffy in a few spots. I would recommend atv's. And wear a good dust mask on dry days, lol.
    Tennessee

Default Klutina Lake

Snowwolfe, have you fished the lake before? Is it worth taking a Zodi back there to do some fishing out in the lake itself rather than just shore fishing? I assume that Ahtna would probably require a permit to overnight there?

I appreciate the info.

Thanks,
    Moose

I "travelled the road with a ATV and was met with hostility by a few "logging natives" asking me if I was the one "tearing up "their" road.. I said nope just seeing whats down the road" They then blocked the road with their truck . I turned around and went home.. just a warning .. dont go late summer.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

how far up before the first dump into the river with a raft? I believe you can pay the tresspass fee in glennallen to cross this land. We do it on the gulkana. It aint cheap but it's much better then the hassle. Would really love to get the raft into this river this year.

I never did fish in the lake but F&G told me it holds some monster lake trout.

About mile 13 is where you can access the river and launch a zodiac to float down stream.
    Tennessee