Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help tying the leader to the fly line

Default Need help tying the leader to the fly line

I was wondering what knot to use when attaching a leader to the fly line. I have always had the store tie them on for me, but I want to learn the knot myself so I can attach a leader anytime I want. And ultimately I like to learn new knots. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Easy as pie man. Just get this tool. Actually, buy two and keep one as a spare. Instructions come with and a child could do it. Great little tool. Read the 31 five star reviews at Cabelas...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...556&hasJS=true

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Can you pick one of these up at sportsmans, or any other sporting goods stores? Or is Cabelas the only place to find one?

Definitely get the tool that Dan recommended, they check out this website for knots:

http://www.killroys.com/knots/knots.htm

What I do is buy this stuff:

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0023667315596a.shtml

Then use a nail knot to tie it the fly line, and make a Surgeons Loop at the end. It kinda makes a strike indicator because of the bright colors. Attach leaders to the surgeons loop and your good to go, add tipped to the end of leader if you choose to do so. Everyone has there own techniques, this way has worked best for me....

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Can you pick one of these up at sportsmans, or any other sporting goods stores? Or is Cabelas the only place to find one?

Definently, that is where I got mine. I think mine was made by Crystal Creek or something like that.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I was wondering what knot to use when attaching a leader to the fly line. I have always had the store tie them on for me, but I want to learn the knot myself so I can attach a leader anytime I want. And ultimately I like to learn new knots. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Blood Knot. I can tie it in any weather and temp. Warm and dry to cold and wet and it is one tough knot
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Albright knot is a knot worth learning, especially for line weights of 9 and up.

I go with a nail knot using 25 pound maxima....I run her out about 10 inches and put a perfection loop in it. This is what's called the butt section, and from there you can either do a loop to loop (two perfection loops) for the bigger stuff (15 on up) or I will tie the smaller leaders right to the loop with an improved clinch. (for some reason I get failures with loops on 12 pound and under leaders).

The bomb proof way that I do it for salmon rigs is to do the same 25 or maybe even up to 35 pound on the butt section but leave it longer (18 to 20 inches) and then nail knot it to your leader, this is probably the strongest way to do it, it takes a bunch of knots but once you get the hang of em....it's still cool to wet em and watch them all cinch up. It never gets old (but I'm easily impressed). Lots of good ways to do it though.

Default Cheaper tool

If I remember to bring one....half of a drinking straw makes a great nail knot tying tool (a pen cartridge works too). Lay the tube next to the fly line.....then make the wraps and finish by running the tag end through the tube. Then draw it tight and watch the wraps fall off the end of straw.

In a pinch I also use a nail (fancy that) or the leather awl on my leatherman....the taper to it helps the wraps from bunching up on each other when you draw it tight.

I use saftey pins, the big black ones on ammo bandoliers..usd to save them from range days, still have quite a few..any big saftey pin will work and comes in handy regardless, kind of a mulity purpose tool.

I also have a tool very similiar to the one dan showed...and I think the saftey pin not only is much cheaper (again I'm a cheap skate LOL), but it is MUCH easier! You can keep things lined up much easier with a less severe angle...but once you get that tool it is quite easy to use.

I also nail knot to the fly line. I'm getting away from double surgons for adding anything on leaders anymore (like in adding tippet material). Seems if something fails that always fails first compared to a blood knot. Which btw is basically two fishermans knots butted together. It's a good knot to learn. It's not as fast as a double surgeons, but is MUCh more reliable.

I got that tool on order, Thanks for the help everybody. And now I got something to occupy my time with while I am waiting on salmon to show up.

Can you tie the fly line to the leader with a blood knot. I know how to tie that one, its usually how I taper my leader down. I always thought the flyline would be too stiff to tie the leader on with a blood knot.

I do it all the time. I have no problems with it
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I got that tool on order, Thanks for the help everybody. And now I got something to occupy my time with while I am waiting on salmon to show up.

Good move man. That will take about five minutes to master

Better order a book if you are wanting to "occupy some time".

Easiest way to tie a nail knot I have ever seen.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I do it all the time. I have no problems with it
    You tie a blood knot with your flyline? I'd think that would make one big ol knob of stuff that would be much fun to deal with....hmmm.

Default I still like the loops

I've done it about every way out there and I still like the manufactured "chinese finger trap" style loops. I've never had much luck with the heat shrink tubing though. I usually tie a couple of good snug nail knots with some 20lb dacron backing material to hold the loop in place and cover the knots with aqua seal to help them slide through the guides. Once in place, you never have to cut the fly line again.

I've caught all species of salmon and trout as well as bonefish, tarpon and snook with this set up, so I know it holds. Even if you just tie the mono right to the fly line, I'd still recommend tying-in a 3 or 4 inch section with a loop in the end. (use stiff mono so you don't get too much "hinging" between the fly line and leader.

When you're chasing multiple species with the same rod and you need to be able to change leaders in a hurry, loop to loop connections are the only way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsum View Post
    I'd still recommend tying-in a 3 or 4 inch section with a loop in the end. (use stiff mono so you don't get too much "hinging" between the fly line and leader.
    I agree with Scott on this one. Instead of mono, I use the amnesia shooting line. It is stiff enough to prevent the hinge effect, and comes in bright colors that double as an indicator built into your line. I have seen this stuff in orange, green, and pink. I tie a 8-10" piece of the amnesia line to the fly line with two nail knots, then tie a perfection loop on the other end. I also tie my own leaders, so a loop on the butt end of it, and you have a quick loop to loop connection for changing out leaders. I think it comes down to what you like best, and what is easiest for you to tie. There has been a lot of different ideas given from a lot of very knowledgeable fishermen, just find what works for you.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Here's a pretty cool site for learning knots:
    www.animatedknots.com
    Just pick a sport like fishing then pick a knot on the left side and it shows how it is tied with animation.

Default leader to fly line

I've used the Amnesia line for years and I like it. I use 30/40 lb w/ a small loop tied into the end of a 6-10" piece.

I prefer to use albright knot over the nail knot only b/c it can be tied w/o a tool,etc. not as clean as using a braided loop. Many manufactures make product that uses a bradied sleeve that works like a "finger trap" once slipped over fly line the loop is secured by a shrink tubing. These work well, but it is something else to buy an done more pice that can potentially fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    You tie a blood knot with your flyline? I'd think that would make one big ol knob of stuff that would be much fun to deal with....hmmm.

I've done it quite a bit, as long as you tie a nice tight knot you never know it's there...

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    I use a blood knot too. Works fine as long as you make it neat. The first knots of the season are always big, ugly, and useless. After I brush off the dust the knot works fine. Easy to tie also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast