Thread: Trail Cameras

Default Trail Cameras

I think I am gonna break down and get a trail camera, any suggestions?

I see alot of people on here with Cudde Back pictures. They seem to have the best picture quality.

Thanks
    -Caleb-

I think it is the megapixels rating, thing for the best pictures,I have choosen to buy two cheaper cameras instead of the one high end one.They both have 5 MP rating, and it takes good pictures. However with that being said, I found that the trigger speed, is where the cost goes up. I have to mount mine in line with the trail, not sideways to it or i will miss the action, or have a picture of a rump or tail,Thats where the Cudde Back is king.

i sure like my old cuddeback, beleive it is only 2.0 megp. just posted pictures in bowhunting threads. they have metal box to put them in to try and keep bears from tearing them up.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I have a couple Stealth Cam 4.0's out and love them. I am hearing more and more folks complaining about cuddie back (sp). I've never had one though.

If you are interested in a lot of stuff on various cam try ifish.net, hunt forums. There are tons of photos sticky on the top plus lots of posts about them

good luck.

Thanks for the info Andrew, I will have to check that out. I have been looking at all of them, just figured I would get some input on here, as this is going to be my first trail cam.

I was looking at a Moultrie 5.0 Outfitter today. Anybody have one of those?
    -Caleb-

I bought a 100 dollar camera from Cabela's about 4 years ago it took about 300 nice pictures of the grass blowing......... How well are your cameras working on taking pictures when there is something there?
    Tim

i have a "scout" model...200.00$ works fine 3 mexps...go to "trail camera reviews'...those guys really done there homework
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

I bought a 91 dollar (add 6 for shipping) Moultrie D40 from Amazon.com (also see cabelas or bass pro shops) and it works fine. Hope it's still in the field, haven't been out for two weeks as I haven't been in town. Take a 4 gig card which I bought a two pack at walmart for 12 bucks and swap the cards each time I go out. Hope to have some more pics on it this time. The only down side to the moultrie is the bungie cords they supply to attach, kinda flimsy if you ask me. I used 1/8 inch steel wire to attach to the tree instead of the bungy. You can also buy a steel box for it for around 40 bucks for added protection, as with most cameras.

I've had great luck with a Wildview Exteme 2. They can be found locally for around $75, or on the internet for around $50.

I have great pictures of multiple bears. It's easy to determine what size and kind of bears you are looking at. Plus, if it gets stolen or destoyed you're only out $50-75.

Default Cuddeback vs. Moultrie 5.0

I bought a $400 Cuddeback about 4 years ago and used it at my place in the Alaska Range from about May to October each year for 3 years. Picture quality was good, battery life was 60-90 days, depending on how much a flash was used (if the flash was activated). However, looking at the volume of pictures (bears, wolves, moose, and quite a few pictures with no animals showing), and running some "tests" of our own I became convinced that I was missing a lot of pictures.

Last May (2008) I purchased a Moultrie 5.0, from Cabelas, for a little over $100, and placed it in the same location for about the same timeframe. The picture quality was good, and battery life was about the same as the Cuddeback. However, there were at least twice as many pictures, and I don't believe it was because there were more animals last year! I also ran tests walking past both cameras at various distances and speeds, and the Moultrie captured many more images.

One other irritating thing about the Cuddeback is that the setup protocol was obviously developed by a computer nerd, and not your average hunter, just wanting to get a camera positioned and set up and get back to hunting. I am not stranger to technology, as I have built many computers from the ground up, wired and set up 5-6 homes for whole house internet, and home theaters, but the setup process for the Cuddeback that I own is unbelievably complex for such a simple device. Cuddeback has maybe fixed that issue with newer models, I don't know. To the contrary, the Moultrie can be set up in less than 5 minutes, even without taking out the manual.

I agree with someone's earlier post about the tiny bungee cords that Moultrie uses to mount their cameras. They are pretty much useless. I purchase one of the metal boxes for mine. Because I can only access my cameras by aircraft, the battery life sometimes becomes an issue. This year I bought one of the small solar panels for the Moultrie ($70 from Cabelas). I'm hoping it will totally eliminate the need to change batterys at all during the time I have it deployed, but time will tell.

Default Thanks Riflemaker

Thanks for write up on these two cameras, I think I have made up my mind on which one to get through this forum and research of my own. Looks like the winner is a Moultrie 5.0 Outfitter with IR. Now just time to search for the best deal.

Thanks again
    -Caleb-