Thread: 45 colt data

Default 45 colt data

Just got some Hornady 250 gr. hp/xtp and i need some reloading info. I have just started reloading for my 454/45 colt, and would like somewhere to start and then build up to. I've looked in my books and was just wondering if i should just go with that info?

Use the data from the book to start. Especially important for a new reloader. Always start with the starting loads and work up.
    Remember, you are not looking for the hottest load, you are looking for the one that shoots best in your firearm. Each is an entity unto itself. Same make same caliber, same everything. and they will like different loads.
    REMEMBER: NEVER EXCEED THE UPPER LOADS IN YOUR MANUAL.

You can also check out hodgdon.com load data. They have standard and Ruger/FA/TC only 45 Colt loads. The Ruger only max load of H110 and a 360gr boolit is giving me 1155fps out of a 4 inch Redhawk with great accuracy. My lyman manual has load data for cowboy/plinkin rounds and I shoot 255-265ers with 8.5 gr
    Unique. Most load data I've read shows anywhere between 7-10gr Unique.

I have attached a couple pdf files in another thread.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=46588

As usual, double check all load data and don't use the Ruger only loads in other weaker guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    As usual, double check all load data and don't use the Ruger only loads in other weaker guns.
    Ruger only loads will be fine in any brand of 454 and the S&W 460s, they are designed for even more pressure than the Ruger 45s are.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by alaska1611 View Post
    Just got some Hornady 250 gr. hp/xtp and i need some reloading info. I have just started reloading for my 454/45 colt, and would like somewhere to start and then build up to. I've looked in my books and was just wondering if i should just go with that info?
    Welcome to the forum, alaska1611.

You say that you just started reloading for your .454 Casull/45 Colt. The English language allows for some ambiguity.

Do you have a 45 Colt and a second gun in 454 Casull (which, of course, also chambers the 45 Colt, or do you refer to just one gun (nominally 454 Casull)?

Have you just started reloading? Or are you an experienced reloader who just started reloading for these cartridges?

So much for my questions. Now, your questions:

Go with the published data. Always. Unless you have access to more sophisticated gear than most reloaders have to evaulate the internal ballistics in your gun and are ready to assume the risks inherent in "pushing the envelope". Go with the published data. Always.

(There are different publishers and some are more conservative than others; and always look at the other components they used for testing, the gun, the primers, the brass and the temperature if they tell you)

Remember, the gun is only part of the whole ballistic "system". The temperature of your ammunition is important, too. Oftentimes, the brass itself is the limiting factor. 454 Casull cases are much stronger than 45 Colt cases, so hot-loading the Colt cases to pressures well below the gun's capacity is still dangerous because the case or primer cup can let go.

The original 45 Colt cases were for black powder and had the base hollowed out to maximize powder capacity (the "balloon head" cases). When smokeless powder was developed, pressures had to be kept low because of the existence of those cases. Later, "solid head" cases were designed which are much stronger and (I am told) no balloon head cases have been manufactured for over half a century.

When Dick Casull developed his eponymous cartridge (how's that for a two-dollar word?--I could be a magazine writer!) he made heavy loads in the 45 Colt case (following in the footsteps of Elmer Keith, I believe) he went WAY beyond the 12,000 to 14,000 psi (those numbers I pulled from a loading manual - Modern Reloading by Richard Lee) capacity of the 45 Colt case. I am sure he took precautions. Eventually he used a longer case, rifle primers and (I assume) stronger brass and the Casull case is capable of holding 55,000 psi or more.

Here's an answer to a question you did not ask, but you, or someone reading this thread, will eventually ask. Yeah, you could pump up the 45 Colt cases (to be fired in a 454 Casull-chambered gun) to higher than even the "Ruger Only" loads in your manual. But don't do it. The gun will hold, but the brass won't. If the primer cup does not fail, the cartridge case will. Maybe not the first time, but eventually.

Happy reloading, good shooting, good luck and welcome to the forum.

Lost Sheep

Default 45 colt

Thanks for all the info. Yes i'm new to reloading, I've been reloading some 45acp but just started to reload for my 454srh. thought I would try some 45 colt. I had a freind help me alittle bit on reloading some 454 but am waiting to get a lee crimp die that I ordered to come in. I have some powder (wst,296) but not whats in my book for 45 colt. I really enjoy all the information on the form, thanks again.

Thanks for all the info. Yes i'm new to reloading, I've been reloading some 45acp but just started to reload for my 454srh. thought I would try some 45 colt. I had a freind help me alittle bit on reloading some 454 but am waiting to get a lee crimp die that I ordered to come in. I have some powder (wst,296) but not whats in my book for 45 colt. I really enjoy all the information on the form, thanks again.
    You can use H110 data with W296 powder, they are the same spec from diferant makers. So if your book shows H110 use that data and as always start at the bottom and work your way up. Mag primers often work better with H110/W296, but if the data is not for mag primers be very cairful around the max data with them.

A caution with H110/W296 is never load under the minim data listed with it as it is well known that light loads with this powder can create an over pressure condition.

I far prefer Lil-Gun powder to H110/W296, I find I can get more power with less pressure with Lil-Gun and the big thing to me is its much cleaner burning. If youíre after plinking to medium power loads look at Unique and 2400 for 45/454/460 S&W as well as other large bore loads.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

After shooting just a box of .45 Colt ammo in my Super Redhawk .454, I found that I couldn't chamber the .454 rounds due to the buildup in the cylinder. Actually got bad enough (I tried a Lewis lead remover) that I had to roto-root the cylinder with a lead cloth patch wrapped around an old bore brush using my variable speed drill.

The solution to my problem was to begin loading 250g RNFP cowboy type bullets ahead of 7g of Trail Boss in .454 cases. The longer cases eliminated my "ring-around-the-collar" in the cylinder. I picked Trail Boss because of it's large bulk, eliminating the possibility of a double charge. This makes for a nice gentle .45 Colt-like round out of my SRH.

Don't get me wrong, I love the full-bore whallop of a 360g Buffalo Bore running out at 1425fps, but it's not something I can shoot all day at the range.

Tom

I was finally able to get to the range and shoot some of my reloads. The 454 and 45 colt worked great. About a six inch grouping at 20 yards. Even was able to shoot my 45acp. Was worried because of the crimp job I did, but I checked after 6 rounds and no crimp jump. Again I would like to thank everyone for all the advice on the form.

ADFields;

W296 and H110 are the same stuff? I did not know that! I feel a kinda stupid as I quit using H110 and went to W296 as its replacement. The reason being that the H110 was just to dirty. I couldn't see much improvement in the W296....now I know why. I will get some Lil'Gun and give it a go.

The one thing that I find strange is that as dirty as these two powders are in my 45 they(at least the 296) burns a lot cleaner in my 41 mag.

Ya learn something new every day. Thanks for learning me!

EKC

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    ADFields;

W296 and H110 are the same stuff? I did not know that! I feel a kinda stupid as I quit using H110 and went to W296 as its replacement. The reason being that the H110 was just to dirty. I couldn't see much improvement in the W296....now I know why. I will get some Lil'Gun and give it a go.

The one thing that I find strange is that as dirty as these two powders are in my 45 they(at least the 296) burns a lot cleaner in my 41 mag.

Ya learn something new every day. Thanks for learning me!

EKC
    Yup, same stuff from different makers but like powders with new lot numbers of the same powder every batch is a little different. Donít feel bad for not knowing as I found it out just last December here on the forum and checked it out to be sure before I would believe it was correct. Good powder no matter which name is on the jug, just makes for a dirty gun in most loads. I think you will love Lil-Gun for hot loads like I do, I still have about 5 pounds of H110 and 3 of 296 to burn so I am loading all 3 powders for now.

If a guy reads the posts from others here it's amazing what can be learned! I do love this forum!!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default lil gun gets my vote !

I also love the Hodgdon Lil Gun powder in my .454 ! I think it is at its best in full power /heavy bullet loads ! I also like accurate #9 for bullets of around 250 grain ! Kevin
    Little bullets might expand ! But big bullets never shrink !
    When you swim with big fish try not to act like bait !

Whats the average life of cases? Just shot all I reloaded Sunday at Birchwood. And was wondering if i could still load moderate loads with 300 grain bullets. I've had to throw a couple out already that just didn't look good. Thanks for the help, Jerry

Whats the average life of cases? Just shot all I reloaded Sunday at Birchwood. And was wondering if i could still load moderate loads with 300 grain bullets. I've had to throw a couple out already that just didn't look good. Thanks for the help, Jerry
    I load heavy loads in my Blackhawk with H4227 powder and 250 to 325 grain bullets and have cases that have been loaded 10 times or more. How did your cases look so bad? The case mouth will split when they fail from too much crimp, but I don't get those failures often. I clean my cases after every shoot and inspect them for case splits but I have had very few.
    Mike

Sorry I guess I should clarify that its for my 454. The 45lc still looks good after about 4 reloading. The 454 have been reloaded 3 times and I've found 3 that had a small crack starting around the case mouth so I chucked them.