Thread: Marine Paint for Aluminum jon

Default Marine Paint for Aluminum jon

I'm painting a little jon for duck hunting and I'm looking for grey, brown, and tan marine paint. Anyone know of a local place (Anchorage) to buy some paint? I probably will need a gallon of the grey and a few quarts of the brown and tan. Any help would be appriciated.

Reel Friend...you may want to investigate this www.angelfire.com/nc3/davecarnell/ If this link doesn't work just google "Dave's boat building page" and click on "articles" @ bottom of the list in red. May be an inexpensive and servicable alternative to marine paint. GLTU

Default Thanks for the Article

Great article and I'll have to look into the big store paints.

fwiw...I bought a gallon of behr premium plus ultra and painted a test spot about the size of a dollar bill. Tenacious stuff..a new crosslink formulation..after a week it was tough to sand it off. If you have a specific color in mind most paint depts. can match it. The sample needs to be about the size of a quarter and on something thin so it will fit in the spectrometer. Of course, they have a zillion colors to choose from if you're not trying to do a mstch up. Mine came from Home Depot. I talked to Dave Carnell a few weeks back. He's one of the good guys. T. S. Simmons..Simmons Sea Skiff..built his craft without plans. With Simmon's blessings, Carnell found a good example which Simmons verified, then measured and reduced these measurments to plans. He donated the plans to the Cape Fear museum, where they remain available, as an on going fund raiser.