Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Klutina Reds?

Question Klutina Reds?

By the looks of the run charts, copper river should have a great red run. Does anyone know how long it takes the reds to get into the Klutina from where the counters are? I'd like to get over there and catch a few....

Well Fish and Game states that it takes approxamately two weeks for them to reach Chitina. I think depending on water level, they can be in Klutina anywhere from 10 to 15 days after the counter. This is what I think personally and I do NOT have the stats to back it up, but I have caught a lot of Reds out of there.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Not yet

Was in that area the last couple of days. No activity on the Klutina yet. Seem to recall that one year we caught some around June 9.

Default Reds

Last year i caught some the first weekend in june. The river was really low so we lost alot of tackle. You could actually have a conversation back and forth across the river. I will be down there fishing the first week of july. Coming back for R&R leave and cant wait.

Default when does it open?

I heard it doesn't open for reds until July 1st this year.

Default second look

kings don't open until July 1, Reds are OK now.

Default 22nd

I did well June 15th last yr. This year I'll be there June 22nd. I hope I dont miss the bulk of the first run.

Default Reds

Well, headed over to Klutina this weekend. Got there Friday night. Didn't see any hookups. Saw quite a few anglers, but not any fish. Fished Saturday morning for a couple of hours. Not even a single hit. Tried again Saturday evening. Still no fish. Saw one guy who had caugt a total of 3, 2 on Friday night and 1 Saturday morning. Tried one last effort on Sunday. Pounded the water for a couple of hours. Nothing. Looks like I got there at least a week too early. Maybe next weekend....

Default MMMMMMMM you don't say

Me and my partner did o.k. we cooked them up on the grill when we got home last night. Combined we hooked up about 14 times and brought home seven. The best part of catching fish this time of year is no crowd.

Does anyone have a link to the Copper/Chitna run count data?

Tim

Default Copper run chart

You can access the charts on the homepage of Alaska Outdoor Journal. There's a little dropdown menu at the top left corner. I think you can also access it on the Alaska Fish and Game page...

People were catching reds on Klutina at Copper Center for the last week. Was there on Saturday and it was pretty dead. Saw fish rolling and other caught probably 5-7 on both sides of the bank together over a 5-7 hour period. People said Saturday was slow though and that they had caught limits in the preceeding days. And they had the fish grilling to prove it.

As an aside, the people at Groves campground were pretty hospitible folk.

Default Miles Lake Fish Count

I just tried the link and it didn't work correctly...

Try this one..

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FishCounts/

Default Fish wheel not catching em'

My family shares a fish wheel in cooperville a few miles north of the Klutina confluence. The last 48 hours have only caught 3 kings and 2 reds Judging by the counter, though, there should be a good slug showing within a week!

This one looks like it got into a fight with a net!
    DSC00908.jpg

Default Suggestions?

The family flew in and looks like we are going to be near the Klutina river. I wasn't even planning on doing much fishing this "Wrangell St. Elias" tour but since we will be near I am wondering if it is worth taking the gear. I have never fished for Reds before so have no idea what the technique/tackle would be, any suggestions? Also I have obviously never been to the area so any suggestions of the where/how that way would be greatly appreciated.

Finally I could possibly get myself into a bit of trouble with the family/wife if I convince them to head out fishing and things are too slow. I know you can't say "well you will be successful" but realistically if you had a family that loved to "catch" but not necessarily to "fish" would you risk it to add that to the itenerary for this weekend?

Thumbs up Reds

If you going to be in the area it dosent hurt to stop in and try it. All you need is a fly rod or in that case any kind of stout rod and reel. Buy a few dozen coho flies and some split shots or some rolls of wire lead. Once you get down there just watch the people around you what they do. Basically flipping a fly with enough weight on there to feel the tick tick of the bottom. once you dont feel that bumping on the bottom pull your slack and bam most likely a fish. I have flipped for 30 minutes and limited out and I have flipped for 5-6 hours before getting into a fish. But either way just have fun in whatever you do.

Got a call yesterday, some friends are up fishing that area and stopped in on the Klutina, zero, and the guy has fished it for years, every year!

Also heard there is a prop to possibly go to 1 king on the gulkana and possibly close the hole king season next week?

Default Reports?

I am no expert, I have only fished there a couple times

I have a friend that is a novice at best go to klutina this last weekend (I went pike fishing) and he caught 3 a day in about 1/2 hour each day.

I will be leaving tonight and give a hands on report Monday.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I also had a buddie there the other day and he caught his limit. I'll be there in about 10 days. Cant wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast