Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp pot thieves charged

Default Shrimp pot thieves charged

I didn't want this information to get buried in the other thread, so thought I'd post it here...

anchskier
    Member Join Date: Jul 2007

Just saw this posted on Craigslist, not verified by me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by skydiver
    I was at the Whittier ramp getting ready to head out this weekend and ended up talking to a trooper (who was checking my fishing license) about the pot thieves. He said they knew about the incident and the video and were going to get the video from the guy who made it. Said the most that could probably be done was to fine them $500 for tampering with the pots. He didn't think they could get them on theft since they gave the pots and shrimp back (no, this doesn't make sense to me either). He also said these two had been in trouble before for illegally taking black bears for their gall bladders. My suspician is that they may have been doing that very same thing during the time that they pulled the pots. I know others who hunted black bear in that area at about that same time.

Take it for what it's worth, but I saw this posted on Craigslist this morning and looks to be related to the situation discussed here. I have not verified it myself.
    ----------------------------------
    "Location: Whittier

Case Number: 09-43674

Type: Pull shrimp gear without permission, Theft IV, No shrimp permit,
    Fish over limit of shrimp pots

Text: On 5/29/09, *** ***** 52 YOA of Anchorage and **** **** 55 YOA of
    Anchorage were cited by the Alaska Wildlife Troopers, Girdwood Post.
    ***** and **** were cited on one count each for Theft IV, pulling
    someone else's personal use shrimp gear without permission, shrimping
    without a shrimp permit and fishing too many shrimp pots off of one
    boat. The citations were the results of activities that took place on
    5/16/09 in Prince William Sound and the investigation by AWT.
    Arraignment is set for 6/26/08 in Anchorage District Court. "
    Last edited by LuJon; 05-31-2009 at 10:22. Reason: it is against the forum rules to post names of people facing criminal prosecution.

Thumbs up WOW!

How about that? Who would have thought it would be followed up on. Good for the Troopers.

M

They just going to be fined or will they loose their boat and gear?
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Sounds like poaching to me, they should auction the boat

You know darn well if it were a hunting offense they'd take everything! Hope I have the day off..I'd like to see them in court.

I wonder if they are related to that ***** that poached all the rainbows/landlocked salmon up in Mirror lake.

Hopefully they check their citizenship and send em packing back to Korea.

Default Good

Hopefully someone may be able to pick up a boat and other fishing related items real cheap

I'd bid on that boat...I was salivating over one at the boat show this year.

I hope they throw the book at them. It'll probably be fines and loss of fishing privelages, which they obviously didn't pay much attention to anyway, but whatever it is I hope it hurts.

Default maybe a trooper

should sit at the Whittier dock & arrest the suckers everytime they go out.
    Gary

Remember everyone it is against the forum policies to post the identity of any persons facing criminal charges until they are convicted. That said I too am pleased to see these lowlife's brought to justice. I hope it is swift and harsh.

Stealing another mans gear is as low as it gets. What is the threshold for a felony? I think if they took the value of the traps all the rope and what not along with the shrimp in the pots they would be there. they should also pay for the game and fish violations.

Default Boat was rented

Just to let everyone know the 2 men charged rented the boat. I know the actual owner of the boat and he is a stand up guy. He leaves the boat down there with a rental agency. He had nothing to do with what happened.

Does the guy rent his boat from Whittier??? I was in Whittier this morning and the people at the parking place were telling me that the guys names and the AK number of their boat is posted all over town, if it was a rental from Whittier I would think the place that rented it would tell the locals to back down but that doesn't seem to have happened yet.

From a distance, I saw a Kingfisher parked near the big hotel in Whittier a couple of weekends ago. May be from the place that rents boats, I don't know. Didn't get close enough to see the registration numbers. I would hate to see someone find that boat on the water and give the people on it a hard time for being shrimp pot thieves especially if they are innocent renters.

My wife saw a post at the donut stand by the launch at 6am this morning. Says to watch out for that particular boat etc.

Yes he leaves it down there and it is rented out when he doesn't use it.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Remember everyone it is against the forum policies to post the identity of any persons facing criminal charges until they are convicted. That said I too am pleased to see these lowlife's brought to justice. I hope it is swift and harsh.
    Policy change perhaps? Seems to happen often.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by gconk View Post
    Yes he leaves it down there and it is rented out when he doesn't use it.

That doesn't really explain why so many people claimed they saw it at the wash down and also in line waiting for the tunnel....
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I don't know what anyone saw or is saying. I know the owner of the boat didn't even know till late last week his boat was involved after being contacted by the State Troopers. That is all I know.

For some reason I cannot find the entry in the trooper news releases. I'm glad they caught them and it looks like they charged them with everything they could. Never mind, found it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast