Thread: Hatchers Pass

Default Hatchers Pass

Anyone hunting the Independence Mine / Hatchers Pass area this year? I hear some road entrance is closed off but I figure people can still get back there on foot or bicycle...don't know if this is against the rules or not. I have seen the Marmots out in Whittier; if they're out over there, they're probably out in the Hatchers area too.

Archangel road is still closed. I was up there today. You can walk or bike it in. Fresh snow on the mountains. Make sure you are 1/4 mile off the road before shooting. That includes bows also.

Exclamation

Saw some marmots up there near the lodge today.

I saw on the bulletin board near the Hatcher's Pass Lodge that there was no shooting allowed in the Independence Mine area. I called the fish and wildlife number on that board and got some fish and game officer that was telling me that I "need a hunting license, salvage all meat and hide" and that she "wished I wouldn't shoot marmots in the area, as they are a nice resource that she enjoys in the area". Also, "no, you cannot hunt marmots in the Independence Mine area or Hatcher's Pass East". Because she provided incorrect information regarding the salvage and licensure requirements, I was frustrated and confused as to the legality of hunting in that area.

Anyway, I asked a trooper that was in the area to clarify and he was uanble to clarify where I could and could not hunt. His years that he spent in the fish and game enforcement unit were the "most confusing years he has spent in the force" and that he himself stopped hunting, as not only are the regulations confusing but some regs contradict the laws they are interpreting. He recommended that I not hunt anywhere near there, however, as the game warden in that unit is very "green" (hippie) and that someone who disagreed with our carrying firearms could possibly report they were intimidated to the police and this would constitute felony assault. All he could recommend is that I go to mile 86 of the Glen going Northbound & hunt somewhere I would not be around other people.

I can find nothing that prohibits hunting marmots in that area. I am sort of pissed that I should have to doubleback on myself after every time I go to hunting. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/factsht/mine_fs/hatcherp.pdf

Says here that it is okay to hunt and trap here. I am hating all the hippie bull crap that is pervading not only the Alaskan citizenry but also the governmental agencies that are supposed to be the steward of such resources. Is it too much to ask for the enforcement agencies to know the laws they are enforcing? Is it too much to ask for said agencies not to ask hunters/trappers to not hunt/trap cutie wootie marmots? I thought all the pinko commie behavior was largely segregated in the Juneau area...

Default Hatcher pass park ranger folks

Had the same sort of problem.
    Check out this thread that was started after dealing with the lady from the parks department (ranger) that runs that area. I got more response from the forums than I did from the park folks about her discussing her beliefs while on the job and not the laws.

It's 3 pages worth of responses

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=31424

Default i heard the same thing about the warden up there

dont' let them catch you without a trapping license ....since you cannot "hunt" marmot.....other than that....like arrowslinger said...you have to be 1/4 mile off the road....and that is horizontal plane with a gps....not feet traveled going up hill...plus the salvage requirements.....i have always wanted a marmot hat....i thought it would be great for sheep hunting
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default Marmot the real mongolian BBQ

Yup they taste great with Teriyaki sauce! And I guess they would make a nice looking hat, however they sure do stink!