Thread: Remington 700 trigger question

Default Remington 700 trigger question

My factory trigger is as low as it will go, 4 lbs. JARD sells a kit to replace my trigger and in that kit there are replacement springs. Can I simply replace my factory spring without replacing my entire triger? If I can, do I simply back the adjustment screw out, remove the spring and install the new one?

It's a good question, but I'm not sure of the answer. I have replaced my 700 trigger with a Timney, which was a breeze to do...and a very good thing (breaks at 3.0-3.5). However, replacing individual springs within the trigger assembly I've not done on a 700 (a 10/22 yes).

I'd call Stan Jackson (an Anchorage gunsmith). He's been around a long time and good at what he does. Ask him if he can adjust your factory trigger below 4.0. He'll tell you if he can and how much he'll charge, and you can believe him. His phone number is 349-3854, and the cell number I have for him is 250-0252.

Maybe others with more experience tinkering with the inner workings of their 700 trigger assemblies will give you additional suggestions. Good luck.

Doc

I had AK Custom Firearms work on one of my Remington 700 triggers, and they do great work. Their turn around time was 5 days for me. I am satisfied with the work they did.

Cheers,

Matt

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I asked Stan Jackson about adjusting triggers on my 700s and he said he CLEANS & adjusts them. (Apparently, he won't just adjust them without cleaning them first. I'm speculating that's because of the problems you can have when they are gummed up from people lubing them, OR maybe they need to be cleaned before they can work consistently. ???)

Anyways, like Doc says he's good, and his turn-around and prices are very reasonable too. He did the triggers on both of my 700s. I told him 3 to 3.5 pounds.

I'm sure he would answer your questions too. All it takes is a phone call, and you'll know. I seem to remember that nowadays he is closed on Mondays.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

You have it correct but please clean the trigger before installing. Remington just changed the design because of a number of law suits. Just be careful; I have never had a problem but I sure know others who have. One has a dead son and the other has head trauma because of the firing when the safey was removed and the rifle fired. J.

I replaced mine with a Jewel. Spendy but there is nothing better.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Remington 700 trigger question?

Thanks to all that replied to my question, I got the answers I was looking for. Nick