Thread: Federal/State Subsistence Enforcement ?

Default Federal/State Subsistence Enforcement ?

I am asking this question for a friend of mine. "Do state enforcement officers have any jurisdiction over federally managed fisheries? Specifically, if a brown shirt asks to see my fishing license, and instead of showing him my sport fish license if I instead hold up a Federally issued subsistence halibut card, is the officer going to make any further investigation (ask to see fish etc), or just say "Have a good day" and leave? I'm wondering because the by-catch rules for the subsistence halibut fishery are pretty loose. The way that I read them, I can catch anything that I would be allowed to catch as a sport fisherman while rod and reel subsistence halibut fishing- plus being exempt from a few sport fishing restriction."
    Thanks guys for your help.
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

I believe that the Federally-managed subsistence halibut regulations only apply to the halibut harvests themselves. Other fish taken as bycatch are managed under State subsistence regulations. Here's a link to some FAQ's for the federal program...#5 on that list addresses your question, I think. In any case, it suggests contacting ADFG for specifics on bycatch retention.