Thread: First time Float: I would like some advise

Default First time Float: I would like some advise

I just bought a 10' achilles with oars. Its in decent shape and has a hard floor.

Would it be suitable to do eagle river with it? I am also looking for pointers such as don't do it you will die all the way to known hazards.

Is the water running to high and fast right now?

Could i use a 10 horse motor?

Quote Originally Posted by akfalar View Post
    I just bought a 10' achilles with oars. Its in decent shape and has a hard floor.

Would it be suitable to do eagle river with it? I am also looking for pointers such as don't do it you will die all the way to known hazards.

Is the water running to high and fast right now?

Could i use a 10 horse motor?
    If it has a hard floor and a transom, it sounds like a sportboat. This is not the kind of boat you need for Eagle River at all! For Eagle River you're looking for a whitewater raft, small cataraft, canoe or kayak. If you're relatively inexperienced, I would steer clear of the canoe or kayak, and I would run it a few times with someone who knows what they're doing. It's not tame just because it's close to town! You're dealing with cold, glacial water there; and people have drowned in there.

Take care,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Arm yourself...

with information. Good information can keep you and your crew out of trouble, enhance your enjoyment and make every trip to rivers count. I've been working into rafting the past 3 seasons (work, family take time too), but it's given me time to read and crosscheck information. The biggest difference for novices is safety I think. Find your own good sources - like Mike Strahan, our good forum moderator in post #2 here. Many of the contributors on this (and other) forums are topic experts whose technical knowledge make them superb references, but it's their experience in the field that matters most especially for some topics with no right answer, or several right ways of doing things. You will get excellent tips from AOD members.

You can search Alaska Outdoors Directory (AOD) using the "Search", then "Advanced Search", then Google search "forums.outdoorsdirectory.com".

Or, click "Store" at the top, then "Kayaking, Canoeing, Rafting" and pick from the 10 books listed. I believe most would recommend the books by Strahan and Jettmar. Both contain a wealth of information besides river descriptions, such as safety, gear, land access and gear tips that you'll want to have first hand. They can save you a lot of time and flailing. One could do worse than to read only these 2 books over and over.

If you buy, The Alaska River Guide, you'll find post #16 in this thread,
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?p=397494, useful for four corrections.

Knik Canoers & Kayakers (http://www.kck.org/) has been an excellent resource of experienced, safe boaters for us.

Finally, guided rafting trips are great for supervised Alaska rafting experiences. Our biggest lessons on those trips have been about gear and safety.

Best of luck in your adventures this season.