Thread: Depth finder on a jon boat?

Default Depth finder on a jon boat?

Any suggestions on getting a depth finder installed on a jon boat? I would like to get a depth finder/gps unit put on my jon boat, but I'm not sure about mounting the transduscer.

Most depth finders come with good instructions on instalation. I bought a hummingbird unit and installed the transducer using their instructions.

If you are opposed to drilling holes in your boat check out this transducer. It is a little more money but might be worth it if you really don't want to drill.

http://www.vexilar.com/pages/accesso...ducers_au.html
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

Cool Mounting Transducer

What I did was I used a plastic cutting board about 3/4' thick and cut it to about 3'' square and drilled two holes through it and the back of the boat all the way through. I then used 3m marine sealant and coated the plastic with it and bolted it to the boat. With 1/4" stainless bolts. I recessed the bolts in to the plastic so they are flush with it so they don't get in they way of the transducer mount. This 3x3 piece of plastic will give you plenty of surface area to mount the transducer to it. I used stainless self taping screws to mount the transducer to the plastic block. Works very well and does NOT leak. This was also how the tech at the boat shop said they do it for customers. Hope this helps.

I mounted my transducer on the transom, just like the instructions said. It lasted a day before popping off the mount (as it was supposed to) when I hit something. The other thing I found is that I had to put it much deeper into the water to use it when going faster than idle. Seems the bubbles in the water generated by the hull at planing speeds caused too much noise and I couldn't see the bottom. Of course, being lower in the water makes it pop off easier. And hits more stuff when going in shallow water.

I finally mounted it to a board that I C-clamp to the transom when I want to use it.

I'd go with what akhilux suggests. That looks like the all around best solution.

after mounting the transducer. my main problem is figuring out how to run the wire up and into the boat without putting screws in the transom. trying to figure out a way to keep the wire tight and clean to the transom, without penetrations. i dont have a depthfinder/sounder unit yet, just trying to plan things out in advance, and found this thread. ty in advance
    sevenmag

Dirty little town near the end of the road

Default Depth finder on riverboat

Another thread, some pics of a mount a made up to allow me to raise and lower the transducer while standing in the boat.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=54790

Quote Originally Posted by sevenmag View Post
    after mounting the transducer. my main problem is figuring out how to run the wire up and into the boat without putting screws in the transom. trying to figure out a way to keep the wire tight and clean to the transom, without penetrations. i dont have a depthfinder/sounder unit yet, just trying to plan things out in advance, and found this thread. ty in advance
    sevenmag
    Have you look at adhesive back tie mounts or Velcro.
    Also putting the wire in split loom tubing (black corrugated polyethylene tubing) make for a clean instulation.

I remember using zip ties when I had finished mounting the transducer. Just pulled the wire taunt enough that it was not stressing to much and zip tied it to something inside the boat. Then I ran it around the inside of the hull to the depth finder. It is not all that hard of a task as long as you take a look at your boat setup and come up with a plan on where you'll run your wires. Keep in mind you dont want your wire in a place that may have alot of activity(possilbly cut wire the wire). I did this on a tiller setup so it was fairly easy.

The transducer bracket I had came with a slider type adjustment that allowed you to raise or lower the transducer than tighten the screws.

I don't mean to be a smartass here, but why would you want one?

Are you taking it out on muddy rivers, or the sea?

Again, just trying to find out the purpose on a jon boat.