Thread: salt water

Default salt water

i have my first valdez trip planned in a few weeks, and have heard that after running in salt water, its recommended to run your boat in fresh water to flush it out. i was wondering if anyone could expand on this or validate it. i have an inboard jet, and would like to know if theres anything else i should know, or prepare for b4 running in saltwater.
    ty in advance
    sevenmag

Default Flush it out

Always a good idea to back the trailer into fresh water and run her for a few minutes on the trailer after being in the salt. I have used my inboard jet for close to 25 years mostly in fresh, but always in salt at least once or twice each summer. Thinking about that salt water sitting in my heat exchanger and hoses and every where else, always bugged me. Its easy to run her on the trailer, and cheap insurance for long life of your engines cooling system. Also, keep up on any zinc anodes in your cooling system. I have one in each end of the heat exchanger that require replacement every couple of years when exposed to salt water.

whats the window for flushing with fresh water? few days? im trying to figure out if id try to find a lake or river near valdez/homer with a boat launch that same day, or if its somthing you can do on the way back, or when at home?
    ive found one zinc on the back of my boat on the bottom of the transom, i havent noticed any in the engine compartment, ill need to take a closer look. ty very much for the help^^
    sevenmag

I always stop at Summit Lake on the way back to Fairbanks and back the boat in and run it for a few minutes to flush out the salt water from the engine and exhaust. The Summit Lake boat ramp is just off the hiway and only takes a few minutes to back in, run, and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by sevenmag View Post
    whats the window for flushing with fresh water? few days? im trying to figure out if id try to find a lake or river near valdez/homer with a boat launch that same day, or if its somthing you can do on the way back, or when at home?
    ive found one zinc on the back of my boat on the bottom of the transom, i havent noticed any in the engine compartment, ill need to take a closer look. ty very much for the help^^
    sevenmag
    If you are looking at your engine and see that large normally black cylindrical container that is your heat exchanger. On each end there is a bolt head, take the bolt out and tap the end cap with a rubber or plastic mallet then you will find another zinc anode. Some have one on each end and others only have one. The rubber seals for the end caps normally stay in one piece and are reusable.

Its always better to take the time to flush than to let that salt sit in there causing corrosion. You can put a plastic or metallic T-fitting in one of your cooling lines and just use a garden hose at home to flush with if you do not feel like backing down a boat ramp on your way home.

Default What about OB's?

Last year we went to Homer and I pulled the boat daily and flushed it every day, felt good about that!
    This year we spent a week at a state cabin and of course the boat was in the water the whole time. Flushed it when I got home.
    It cant be do big of a deal, all the boats setting in Harbor dont get flushed very often? I know some, maybe most of the IB's have heat exchangers, but plenty of OB's as well? whats the deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Last year we went to Homer and I pulled the boat daily and flushed it every day, felt good about that!
    This year we spent a week at a state cabin and of course the boat was in the water the whole time. Flushed it when I got home.
    It cant be do big of a deal, all the boats setting in Harbor dont get flushed very often? I know some, maybe most of the IB's have heat exchangers, but plenty of OB's as well? whats the deal?
    As a kid my dad never bothered flushing the outboard Johnson on our boat and we owned that 8 years and never had any issues. I have just gotten in the habit of washing my boat inside and out after playing in the salt. I don't like the feel of that sticky salt on everything and I do know it causes corrosion here and there when left so I figure it can't hurt to flush the engine while I am at it.

ty very much for the info guy, appreciate it greatly. will hit summit on the way back to flush. will also double check my zincs
    ty again
    sevenmag

I just have a small 45 HP Yamaha OB on my little
    Sea Runner. I usually hook up the hose in the back yard with one of those "suction cup deals" over the intake and run it for a few minutes. I'm I looking at any problems with this method? Been doing it for a few years and everything seems to be running well...

Default AK fly guy

I believe you should be fine as long as you run it while flushing with the cups. It is the O/B jets that really should be backing in to flush with fresh water. You are not able to use the cups or garden hose on them is the diffrence. Flush fresh water through the heat exchangers and all. Im not familiar with all the motor configurations but that is the goal.

Default Salt away

I dont have a jet...but I flush with Salt Away every couple of trips out. I run my motor for an hour after each salt bath. You can get Salt away at a marine supply store. I also use it to wash the boat with.