Thread: Cataraft, motor and dog

Default Cataraft, motor and dog

I live in Virginia near the James River. My interests are hunting and fishing and current efforts have been supported by a square stern canoe and 4 hp outboard. Flipping the canoe is not unheard of and I am now at the point where another type of boat is necessary. It appears the cataraft may be the way to go and I am curious what brand, how big, what configuration and will my current 4 hp push it up stream.

I like to carry my lab when duck hunting. So, I will need something big enough for one person, lab, and decoys and motor. I estimate a full load will be around 500 pounds. Occasionally, I would like to take another person and this would add another two hundred lbs. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Default Cataraft recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by widebody View Post
    I live in Virginia near the James River. My interests are hunting and fishing and current efforts have been supported by a square stern canoe and 4 hp outboard. Flipping the canoe is not unheard of and I am now at the point where another type of boat is necessary. It appears the cataraft may be the way to go and I am curious what brand, how big, what configuration and will my current 4 hp push it up stream.

I like to carry my lab when duck hunting. So, I will need something big enough for one person, lab, and decoys and motor. I estimate a full load will be around 500 pounds. Occasionally, I would like to take another person and this would add another two hundred lbs. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    I'd take a look at the sixteen foot AIRE Jaguarundi. This boat offers plenty of space for you and your stuff, and will accomodate an additional passenger with no trouble.

Keep in mind that AIRE rigs their boats for whitewater. You need to talk to Alaska Raft and Kayak for a hunting frame configuration with floor and transom.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Do you think the Outcast 1200 would be suitable. It is a less expensive and weighs less? Thanks in advance for your counsel.

Default cat/motor/dog/decoys/etc

My Aire Jag with 7 1/2 hp won't go upstream in 7-8 mph current, 2 people and gear for a week. Great boat but needs more power for upstream travel.
    Don't know the speed of your current, but have seen up to 20 hp on an Aire 16 Jag.

Default Horsepower recommendations for the AIRE Jaguarundi

Quote Originally Posted by whitewater View Post
    My Aire Jag with 7 1/2 hp won't go upstream in 7-8 mph current, 2 people and gear for a week. Great boat but needs more power for upstream travel.
    Don't know the speed of your current, but have seen up to 20 hp on an Aire 16 Jag.
    Whitewater,

I think you'd be much happier with a 25-horse outboard prop for that Jag, in your situation. It's a great combination.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default cataraft/ motor/ dog. etc

Agreed on 25 hp, just a matter of budgets.

Not sure which area of the James you live near but the Outcast 1200 may be a little big for the 4 hp motor on most stretches upstream of Richmond, especially considering the loads you will be carrying. I would consider getting at LEAST a 10 hp motor if you get the Outcast 1200.
    Catatrafts are great rigs, invest in a nice one.