Thread: Do you need an FFL

Default Do you need an FFL

to receive gun parts in the mail? or no?

Only for recivers or the serial numbered part

But if you are selling within the state you can send or receive rifles, actions, or shotguns to the other party you are dealing with. But this does not apply to handguns.
    Tennessee

It is legal to ship handguns between individuals that are residents of the same state under federal law. Does Alaska prohibit this? If not, then it would be legal there too.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b8

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [Back]
    A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

Federal law does not distinguish between long guns and handguns for purposes of unlicensed persons that are residents of the same state shipping to one another. The problem can be finding a contract carrier that will allow you to ship to an unlicensed person for either a handgun or a long gun.

Therein lies the rub, I have yet to find a "common carrier" that will carry a sidearm person-to-person in state.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Either...

due to liablity or no interest in business...if not, then there's a niche market in the making right there...

Default So the question then becomes...

am I able to mail out my shotgun for repairs & have it mailed back to me with out someone having an FFL receiving it?

As far as I know, yes. They may want you to only send certain pieces. I did so with a NEF once and no problems on my end.

Ron

I'm pretty sure I read this right. I can send my guns to my self through the mail. Anyone actually do this? Any advice, will the postal service ship guns?

No
    not handguns in the US mail, must have a FFL to ship handguns in the US Mail...air pistols as well....

am I able to mail out my shotgun for repairs & have it mailed back to me with out someone having an FFL receiving it?
    Yes you are able to do this, but the person you are sending it to must be a manufacturer or gunsmith with a FFL. I have sent off several firearms back to the manufacturer for repairs or refinishing and every last one of them has sent it directly back to me by overnight delivery for handguns and ground for long guns. This includes Colt, CZ, and Dan Wesson.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    deleted copy of almost free.... sorry missed your post
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by barrelroll View Post
    I'm pretty sure I read this right. I can send my guns to my self through the mail. Anyone actually do this? Any advice, will the postal service ship guns?
    Yes. I've done this may times and will do it again next week. There is a caveat. You can only ship long guns to yourself at another address for lawful purposes. Do not do this simply to transfer your guns to another individual by just addressing it to yourself at his address.

If you have a second home in Indiana, or are going hunting in Colorada or want to send a gun to your son's house in Mississippi so you can go hunting with him in November, because you don't want the hassle of flying with your guns, you can do all that. The postal regs come into play, must be unloaded and no ammo in the box, must be in a plain brown wrapper. No disassembly is required but they must be declared at the post office as a long gun (shot gun or rifle). Some post offices will tell you they won't ship them. There is one P.O. here in Fairbanks that have folks there who will tell you they won't ship guns. I go to the one that will, with friendly folks willing to help out and I'm even asked what kind/caliber have you got in there? I ship them priority with trace-ability and they arrive ina about four days. I've never had a problem and I follow the rules. I really like that I can do this so let's keep it on the low down so someone in DC doesn't try to stop it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by almostfree View Post
    Yes you are able to do this, but the person you are sending it to must be a manufacturer or gunsmith with a FFL. I have sent off several firearms back to the manufacturer for repairs or refinishing and every last one of them has sent it directly back to me by overnight delivery for handguns and ground for long guns. This includes Colt, CZ, and Dan Wesson.

Correct. I've done that too. Also when sending a handgun for warranty repair, the manufacturer will often send you a prepaid UPS mailer label for the overnight shipment. You can take that to any gun shop with UPS pickup and they will usually do that for ya. It will then come back to your hone address via overnight UPS with adult signature reguired. It works very well.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Therein lies the rub, I have yet to find a "common carrier" that will carry a sidearm person-to-person in state.
    I don't know if they've changed their policy, but I purchased a handgun in state and it was shipped via Alaska Airlines Goldstreak.