Thread: Sockeye Near Anchorage, end of July?

Default Sockeye Near Anchorage, end of July?

Besides the Russian, Kenai, is there a run worth checking out within a decent driving distance of Anchorage? Thinking of heading up from Seattle to fish the Red run. I've heard the Kasilof might be worth checking out? We're fly fishing, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you want to drive the opposite direction, you could try the Gulkanna. It's a longer drive than the Kenai, but typically less crowded.

When is the run usually thick around Gulkana and how long it takes the fish to get from the fish counter to Gulkana?

If you don't want to fish the Russian, your efforts in late July might be better directed at some early silvers in the Parks Highway streams. Personally, I love the upper reaches of the lower Russian where you can hike away from the crowds, but to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    If you don't want to fish the Russian, your efforts in late July might be better directed at some early silvers in the Parks Highway streams. Personally, I love the upper reaches of the lower Russian where you can hike away from the crowds, but to each their own.

I agree with Brian. Put in a little walking time and you can pretty much be alone. Or at least with a few other anglers who are looking for some space. The red fishing on the upper russian is great plus you can get a few rainbows too.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Russian is your best bet

Quote Originally Posted by yellowlab View Post
    Besides the Russian, Kenai, is there a run worth checking out within a decent driving distance of Anchorage? Thinking of heading up from Seattle to fish the Red run. I've heard the Kasilof might be worth checking out? We're fly fishing, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The Russian is your best bet. Yes there's reds in the kasilof as well. To answer your question, there's other Red fisheries that are closer to Anchorage but would not be as good. For example, Jim Creek has Silvers and Reds. Also, Cottonwood creek outside of Wasilla has some reds. I would not come up to Alaska to fish those creeks though. There use to be a dip net fishery in Fish Creek in the Valley. All three valley fisheries mentioned here are really not worth spending airfare money for unless you are visitting family in the Valley and have limitted time.