Thread: Crooked Creek or Centennial Park?

Default Crooked Creek or Centennial Park?

We're thinking of heading down 12 June for some fishing and am thinking either Crooked Creek or Centennial.
    Wife and kids like Centennial and we've never been to Crooked Creek.
    Looking for the best place to camp the rv and do some bank fishing for kings. Any thoughts on which would be better at that time? We're still trying to catch our first, and hopefully not our last, king so any help would be appreciated.
    May try Eagle River on the post this weekend if I read the regs right.

"Oh lord let us catch, not any old thing,
    Put our hook into, a big Alaskan King"

You will have better luck catching a king at the mouth of Crooked creek on the Kasilof than Centennial park on the Kenai R. Centennial is a great place during the sockeye run in mid July.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelieguy View Post
    You will have better luck catching a king at the mouth of Crooked creek on the Kasilof than Centennial park on the Kenai R. Centennial is a great place during the sockeye run in mid July.
    You took the words out of my mouth. Reds are a blast for the kids.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Lightbulb Increase Your Odds on Kasilof

In my opinion, Centennial Park has much nicer campsites compared to the gravel parking lot at Crooked Creek Park.

Aesthetics aside though, if fishing is the mission and you want to catch a king, the Kasilof is the place to be during the first run. Even better, the reds will be pushing through at the same time, so you've got a great opportunity to limit out on sockeye and take home some chinook as well.

I've seen quite a few people hook into kings while targeting reds downstream of the creek and just above the riffles where the river bends. Just got to put in the time flippin' yarn.

Of course, the primary king hole is near the creek mouth where the trail meets the river. The technique can vary somewhat, so might want to observe the crowd to get a feel for what's working best. However, corky and yarn or Spin-n-Glo with roe tend to be productive methods.

As for the Kenai, try Centennial during the third week in July. There should be strong runs of both kings and reds surging upriver in fishable numbers at that time.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing some pics of your son with the family's first king!