Thread: Chart plotter woes

Default Chart plotter woes

I have a Garmin 2006c Chart plotter. It's worked pretty well over the past years. But! I've started to "lose" satallite signal a bit more often lately. The first thing Garmin wants me to do to solve this problem is to update my plotters operating system. I have not done this for several years. I am currently on version 5.30 and the latest update out is from dec. of '08 and is version 5.90.

But here is the problem. Garmin no longer supports or uses the $60. serial port / Computer interface they sold me when I bought the chart plotter. So, I can't use that to update my unit. The tech at Garmin told me it can't handle the data transfer.
    Garmin wants me to buy a usb data writer (price $50.00) for the propritory memory card made by Garmin.... actually, they don't make these memory cards anymore.... they just want to sell be a blank one for another $70.....

What? I'm suppose to spend $120 to update my system and there is no guarantee that the next time I need to do this, any of this will work.

Any Ideas? Anyone out there with one of these data writers or a blank data card?

Thumbs down I doubt it

It's hard to believe that the satillite signal loss is coming from the software version. I would be looking at my wiring and connections first. Assuming you have, find someone who has a newer garmin with a small BNC antenea connector and hook it up to your reciever and see.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default yes...and thanks

Yes, Doug..... you are spot on. Thats the second thing Garmin suggested. So, I went through and re-did all the connections. I cut out all the old connections and re-spliced.

The Garmin support person that I talked to said something about the newer satellites are "configured" differently and that the newer OS version somehow accomodates that.

Anyway, the signal loss story is only to explain how I started trying to get the latest OS version. Maybe it won't make any difference.

I'd still appreciate any help from anyone on figuring out how to up date my unit to OS version 5.9.

I think it stinks that Garmin would like us to throw away all of our gear that's more than 3 years old. Maybe they don't say that straight up.... But..... it seems to me that they don't support slightly older gear in a practical way.

Default Tree:

I once had this exact problem with one of my garmin hand held units, the software update they recommend is pretty critical to the operation of your plotter. I have the mt data card as well as the reader, I bought it for my marine gps, however I have no idea whether or not it would work for you. Where are you located? If your close to me, we could meet and give it a try, I live in Soldotna. By the way, the update they recommended fixed the problem my gps had, and it has had no trouble since.

Question

I have a modern Raymarine set up and a extremely old Garmin as a back up. My old Garmin I'm guessing is something from the ninety's, they can have trouble getting a signal due to cloud coverage, but rarely lose it once acquired. I assume it's more than just cloud and mountains blocking your signal?

kenairmk....I'm up Palmer way..... but thanks for the offer!

Thumbs up Try Local

Quote Originally Posted by tree View Post
    kenairmk....I'm up Palmer way..... but thanks for the offer!
    Have you tried a local Garmin vendor to see if they will update your software? Northern Lights Avionics @ Merrill Field did mine one year for $20... You can also try the GPS Store on Old Seward...

Question Same Problem

Tree,

I am having the same problem from my Garmin 498. The first year I bought it I remember I only lost signal once and I blamed it on the fact that it has an internal antenna and I am using it in an enclosed cabin. Last year it did it a lot more times but only lost signal for a few seconds. This season, and it is still early, my gps looses signal at least 2 times every trip. I have not had it updated since I bought it but I may try that. Keep us posted.
    Kammer
    22' Seasport