Thread: Inboard Jet VS. Outboard Jet

Default Inboard Jet VS. Outboard Jet

Hey guys I've narrowed my search down to Rockproof Boats OR Snyder Boats! I am going with a 20'x78" Boat. The Snyder boat is offering a 140 HP Suzuki outboard Jet and the Rockproof Boat is offering a 200 HP mercury optimax Sport Jet! Both have the plastic rockproof bottom! what do you guys think about the outboard vs. the inboard? Also...The boats are very similar in price!

Thanks Fellas...Brian

I feel you will get more power, GPH and lift from the bullet proof Optimax, plus you can get the stomp grate option added. Although I run one and would not change it for nothing. I'm not knocking the Suzuki for they too are great motors although the Opti has proven itself to me. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by youghguide View Post
    Hey guys I've narrowed my search down to Rockproof Boats OR Snyder Boats! I am going with a 20'x78" Boat. The Snyder boat is offering a 140 HP Suzuki outboard Jet and the Rockproof Boat is offering a 200 HP mercury optimax Sport Jet! Both have the plastic rockproof bottom! what do you guys think about the outboard vs. the inboard? Also...The boats are very similar in price!

Thanks Fellas...Brian

I like skinny water and for that there is nothing like an inboard. My wooly AK o/b runs shallow but I just don't have the turning precision and speed that you get with an inboard.

Thanks Fellas...Brian
    Optimax / Inboard Addtional options:
    You could add a heater plus the opti is self draining and low maint / no winterization / draining the lower unit! Guess you need to decide if you wish for room in the back of the boat or if performance and versitility is more importent. Once you reconize that your choice should be smiple.

I have a 140HP Suzuki/ Johnson 4S and I really like the motor, its a lot quieter that the optimax, but certainly does not have as much power.
    My boat with motor and some basics (no fuel) weighs in a 2000 pounds and I can still carry another 2000 pounds, so I am happy with the weight carrying capacity. I suspect the boats you are looking at are lighter also.
    Fuel usage is great w/ the 140, I cant seem to burn over 6 GPH even w/ a load. I hear lotsa claims about the sport jet fuel consumption: 5.5 to 6.5 GPH. and I believe that is with a light load. I have also heard they can burn 10-13 GPH when loaded.

The boats are very similar in price!

if the boats are similar in price then it is no question...go with the Opti...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default Optimax

In my opinion, easy decision. I own one, been running it 3 years no problems. Although it's an inboard it's much smaller than the others. I've had 6 adults in my 20' Hewes with gear and the highest I've ever run was 9 gph to maintain 30-32 mph. Usually I'm running 7-8 but you can go as low as 6 and stay on step and maintain a reasonable speed. Better skinny water motor too. My $.02

go with the Opti I just got my frist jet boat love it. Love the power but there is some noise come from the little power plant.....

If you don't need the space, go with the the inboard.

Actually the motor cover on the optimax is a handy place to stand if you're flycasting...or a place to sit. I don't notice any lack of space at all.
    Definitely...the Optimax.

I put my BQ on it works great.