Thread: Talkeetna Mountain access

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Talkeetna Mountain access

Hello All,

I' m setting here in sunny dusty Afghanistan dreaming of hunting in the great land. I'll be home on leave in August, back to Fort Richardson. While home I would like to get up and into the Talkeetna mountains in pursuit of sheep.

I've thought about a fly in hunt, but the budget don't agree. I am considering a four wheel hunt into a base camp and a hike in from there.

Here's my question, can any one recommend a good trail head to park and launch from? One where I don't have to worry as much about my truck while I'm gone for a week, and that will provide a good starting point into the mountains? I have spoke to a few locals who said the Talkeetna road had such locations and trails. In the short periods of time between deployments that I get to explore Alaska, I have not found a good trail in to these mountains.

Thanks inadvance for you advice.

There are three access points off of the Talkeetna Spur Road that are well known. All are heavily traveled ATV trails into the mountains and are a real pain on foot. Honestly, I don't think you could get to sheep from any of them. You might be able to off of the Yoder Road trail, but it would probably be a 25 mile hike just to get to sheep country.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Come in off the Glenn Hwy. Have lots of truck insurance......no place, is safe to leave trucks. But it is a risk worth taking. Assume that it will be looted, leave nothing.

Go to the north side of them on the Denali HWY. You will hike your tail off and sheep densities are not super great. It is beautiful country though and you may tag a bear as a consolation prize. do your research on AHTNA land before venturing out up there.

What ever you finally decide on, I would recommend that you have someone drop you off rather than leave your truck unattended for a week. That would have the makin's to do some serious damage to the budget...if you planned on driving your truck again and it was still there when you returned. Sad but true - not the way it used to be.

I have to ask, who and why is doing all this looting to the vehicles? p.m. me if you need to.... Ken..........

Default ATV_WAlk Sheep Hunt

Anyways this brings up a good topic. Where are there good places in the state to do ATV then walk in to sheep. I know the DCUA is a good one...drew that tag once and got snowed out. So just wonderin where else is a good place to do this...would places on the Glenn in 14 or 13...not sure...any input....

Default ATV places to walk from

Nabesna area in the wrangells.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input everyone.

If I do go in by four wheeler, I will have someone drop me off. Heard of a four wheeler stolen at Kings creek last year. Now that would ruin a good hunt.

Was up on the Nabsena road last August, according to the ranger there, you can hike in for 3/4 curl rams up there just a few miles off the road. Sounded nice, but I could not get any information on the hunting pressure in that area. Not sure how to interpret the 3/4 rule there, seems to suggest an abundance of sheep. I was unable to get back up there to do any scouting due to the drive and work requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Engel View Post
    I have to ask, who and why is doing all this looting to the vehicles? p.m. me if you need to.... Ken..........
    Who...? Misguided youth 14 to 40.

Why.......? Easy pickings, smash & dash. It's fun, exhilarating, a blow against the establishment. No chance of getting caught. free stuff, drug money, they were dropped on their head as babies, who knows all the why's.....

The problem is nobody shoots these thugs anymore and leaves them for the crabs and bears.

Interesting discussion. Would you guys say this problem is worse on the Talkeetna spur road than say on the Parks, or Glenn? Or is it bad everywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Interesting discussion. Would you guys say this problem is worse on the Talkeetna spur road than say on the Parks, or Glenn? Or is it bad everywhere?
    Appears to be anyplace there are young humans. All of the Trail Heads, Turnagain Pass, Bird Creek, Bird Ridge, Petersville road have all been awful. They jump on the roof and hood till the car is flat or break a window, look under the seat for a handgun, and steal everything, including the car/truck radio. Pop the trunk, take valuables, including spare tire and jack.

My hunting partners and I have parked off of the Talkeetna Spur for days at a time over the past five years and have yet to have any problems, knock on wood. I think you're actually safer if your parked off on one of the less traveled side roads than you are right off a main road. Thieves are lazy and opportunistic, so a vehicle next to the main road is easier for them to find.

A drop off is always the safest, but don't let the possiblity of break-in scare you away from an area. I know way more people who've had their vehicles broken into while parked at their apartment or the mall than parked in the field.

I hate to jump in here,because my knowledge is 7-8 years old, but I used to drop my gear off at the sheep creek trail head at Caswell lakes, and park my truck at sheep creek lodge and take a cheap bicycle back. Hide it in the woods for the return trip.