Thread: Mace Pepper Spray Gun and Bears

Default Mace Pepper Spray Gun and Bears

I've used the search function and didn't find an answer I was happy with so here is my question..

My only handgun is a .40 ACP that will work on two legged animals, but is not the most ideal handgun to use when being charged by a brown bear. Truth be known I bought it at such a reduced cost I couldn't pass it up at the time and I wasn't thinking of bears when I bought it.

Move on to today. I plan to be in the woods more this year hunting and fishing than I have in the past and want to be covered when it comes to bears. Long story short, I've been searching for short term solutions and came across a "Mace Pepper Spray Gun" that uses canisters of 'pepper spray' allowing the user seven (7) 'blasts' that will travel up to 25 feet.

http://www.spyassociates.com/mace-pepper-spray-gun-p-2569.html

Has anyone used this or heard any 'Alaskan' reviews - especially related to bears (i.e. browns)? Before we begin, note 'm saving for a larger handgun and am not yet sure how much gun I can use, handle and afford. I'm also considering a short 12 gauge bear gun.

Now personally, I don't really care for the pepper spray route, but will use it if itís all I have next to the .40 ACP. With that said, my wife doesnít like guns and doesn't shoot so I'm also thinking this may be good for her when she's fishing on the river without me.

If anyone has knowledge about this 'Pepper Spray Gun' including any 'after market bear rated' pepper spray canisters I'd love to hear from you. I'm also curious if this stands up to other pepper spray's as they relate to bears.

Thanks in advance.

If pepper spray is the answer why didn't you buy it for the two legged critters. Option is buy a shotgun from a pawn shop cheap and carry that in the woods.Probably get a beater for the price of a couple cans of spray

Cool Your logic is backwards!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    I've used the search function and didn't find an answer I was happy with so here is my question..

My only handgun is a .40 ACP that will work on two legged animals, but is not the most ideal handgun to use when being charged by a brown bear. Truth be known I bought it at such a reduced cost I couldn't pass it up at the time and I wasn't thinking of bears when I bought it.

Move on to today. I plan to be in the woods more this year hunting and fishing than I have in the past and want to be covered when it comes to bears. Long story short, I've been searching for short term solutions and came across a "Mace Pepper Spray Gun" that uses canisters of 'pepper spray' allowing the user seven (7) 'blasts' that will travel up to 25 feet.

http://www.spyassociates.com/mace-pepper-spray-gun-p-2569.html

Has anyone used this or heard any 'Alaskan' reviews - especially related to bears (i.e. browns)? Before we begin, note 'm saving for a larger handgun and am not yet sure how much gun I can use, handle and afford. I'm also considering a short 12 gauge bear gun.

Now personally, I don't really care for the pepper spray route, but will use it if it’s all I have next to the .40 ACP. With that said, my wife doesn’t like guns and doesn't shoot so I'm also thinking this may be good for her when she's fishing on the river without me.

If anyone has knowledge about this 'Pepper Spray Gun' including any 'after market bear rated' pepper spray canisters I'd love to hear from you. I'm also curious if this stands up to other pepper spray's as they relate to bears.

Thanks in advance.
    First I have to correct the fact that you say you have a .40 ACP! It's either a .40 S&W or a .45 ACP. And if you are worried about a .40 not being enough why then downgrade to something that is only a "less lethal" option? You must make the decision if you want to be fully prepared or not. Most likely a shot from a .40 and/or a blast of pepper spray will deter a Bear but I would rather have something that will, without question, get the job done if needed. I'd suggest the shotgun route cause they are always useful whether its for target shooting, home defense, or keeping Yogi from chewing on your rear end! But as always this is just my 2 cents! And by the way, that pepper spray gun is probably one of the dumbest things I think I've ever seen.

Correct .40 S&W; I saw the error last night (I lost out on the .45 ACP). I don't doubt the pepper gun is as you say... just asking for a review - in addition to the wife option.

I certainly do NOT want to wade in to the piranha tank that is the gun vs pepper spray debate again. Just do a search for bear spray and read through the dozens of pages of opinions if you want to. But one thing I will absolutely definitely say without a shadow of doubt, if you choose to carry pepper spray for bears, DO NOT use the product you linked to. That is for people and maybe dogs if you felt brave. It shoots a small stream of irritant and is a small 28 gram cartridge. Bear spray's shoot a large fog of irritant and discharge their 200-300ish gram containers in seconds.

If you want to use pepper spray for bear deterrent, go with one of the ones listed below, they run around $40. Keep the pepper spray gun you linked to in the car and save it for the mugger you encounter on the way home, you're probably more likely to run into him than a bear that you would have to spray anyway.

http://www.counterassault.com/

http://www.udap.com/

Pepper spray is by far the most, the best value, lowest cost way of getting some bear protection fast ...or if you can't afford a full-ride gun and ammo (yet?). I agree on the links posted above. Otherwise, you have to decide how/when you'll be in the woods before deciding which kind of gun to carry. If a long-gun would work, then a 12 gauge with 1+ ounce slugs is a good start. Nothing is ever perfect and as everyone points out, it's up to you to put the shot (or spray) in the right place. That said, I think a .357 Mag is the least I'd carry around black bear, and maybe a .44 Mag the least for around browns/grizzly. And with THAT said, I believe in rounding up ...for 3 ounces more weight than a 7-1/2" SRH, you can have a full-ride S&W 500. Choices are: .357 Mag, .44 Mag, .480 Ruger, .454 Casull, .460 S&W, and .500 S&W, and various others that carry similar power, e.g. a .45 LC in place of the .44 Mag might do, or a .475 or .500 Linebaugh etc etc. If you round up and then reload your own (almost mandatory at today's big-gun ammo prices), then you can always dial in a load to be your personal max rather than the gun's personal max ...and I'll bet that over time, you'll find yourself shooting more and more power. It's fun even if not always necessary.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by asrjb25 View Post
    [...] one thing I will absolutely definitely say without a shadow of doubt, if you choose to carry pepper spray for bears, DO NOT use the product you linked to. That is for people and maybe dogs if you felt brave. It shoots a small stream of irritant and is a small 28 gram cartridge. Bear spray's shoot a large fog of irritant and discharge their 200-300ish gram containers in seconds.
    Thank you for your comments... that's exactly what I was looking to find out. I've never used pepper spray and the information you posted, in addition to the others, has helped out a lot.

Default that pepper gun !

That pepper spray gun looks like a snub nosed m-79 !! :D Kevin
    Little bullets might expand ! But big bullets never shrink !
    When you swim with big fish try not to act like bait !

I say get pepper spray specificly designed for bears (at least for your wife). It will do more good for an inexperienced shooter then a gun.

Mace pepper spray is easy to use and I can bring it especially when I go to a camp. But I'm curious, what is the effect of mace pepper spray?

Your wife not liking firearms shouldn't even enter into your mind, nor should you even think about it for longer than a microsecond. When you married her, you took an oath to protect her. A man has to overlook the irrationality of a woman in order to uphold his oath.

Give her the spray for the psychological appeal, you carry the cheap shotgun to protect yourself and her. Make sure you are ALWAYS upwind of her, and close. That way if she ever has to spray, you don't get caught and can shoot.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I am a believer in bear pepper spray. I have never been mauled but have been charged and had old booboo stomp around. Had one youngin run from the tall grass right by me so quick I did not even have time to pee my pants let alone shoot or spray. Pepper spray works on bears to get them disinterested. A gun does little to shoo them off like spray. Its on ongoing debate with no real solutions.

I carried a shotgun around Alaska 30 years ago. Good for a bear but very hard to manage while doing something. Hard to keep on your person while in camp, fly fishing and such. Takes two hands. Long muzzle.

Short gun means short sight radius but easy to carry and keep with you but not quite the one shot stopper many think, hand guns are hand guns, long guns or long guns, cannot compare them.

Roll a tire down a hill from several different angles and see if you can hit it with a short gun or long gun, not as easy as one thinks.

If a bear is hell bent on protecting its young / food cache, virtually nothing will stop the charge. I know, there will be many saying I killed a charging bear at 10 feet with my 454 and I am not the end all know it all like many just giving my $.01 from a few years in Alaska experience, that many have too.

Like was said, get spray designed for the task. Also, do not test your spray in a parking lot with people close especially pointed towards a family, can cause a bad scene, them bunch of college hippies.

When pepper works, I watched a 40 minute video from a guy who called bears in in Montana and Colorado then blasted them with pepper spray or killed them with a bow. The ones he blasted with spray were shocked to say the least and ran everytime. (Black & Grizz). From this video one would gather it works flawlessly. As a former bicyclist I have rode thousands of miles and sprayed probably around 50 dogs with pepper spray and sent most running and howling. These were dogs chasing me with ill intent and to do harm. Big dogs with adrenaline running high seemed to be uneffected, (Dobies and such.) Curious bears I think pepper sprays are 100% effective but I wouldn't feel completely comfortable with the results with a "full charged" bear. That being said, the odds are you will live longer hiking through bear country every day without anything than staying home and eating fast food. Heart disease is the number one killer in most of America and most spend little attention to protecting themselves from it. Crazy humans!

No gun or pepper spray needed, i just bring Chuck Norris along on all my outdoor adventures.

Talking

+2 on Chuck, he's a bad dude.

First your more likely to be killed by lightening than a bear attack, personally I only carry a side arm in certain known high concentration bear areas or when hunting bears.

Secondly the only bear I have personally seen sprayed didn't get any effect from it. The young lady who attempted to spray a bear that was up wind of her, that she felt was too close to camp however got a full dose in the face. She had to be air lifted out emergently and landed on a ventilator in provs ICU. Seems she has "mild asthma." I'll never risk my life with a protective technique that is just as likely to take me out if the wind shifts. I'd personally like to be able to fight back if things turn for the worse! BTW the bear that was the intended target of the spray walked up to the young woman now laying on the beach writhing in pain and screaming that she couldn't breath, sniffed her foot and walked on through camp and into the woods, just as he more than likely would have if no one had ever noticed him standing there.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

The best protection is the one you have with you most often. A 30-06 bear gun would probably do the trick but its a PITA to lug around which is why we opt for handguns.

If your wife doesn't like guns, then I'd suggest getting a serious can of bear mace for her to carry. She is likely to carry that all the time -- and is more likely to use it -- then a gun she doesn't like. You can carry the handgun or shotgun. If you're doing activities together that gives either person some sort of response option.

If I'm doing stuff that I think might attract bears (small game hunting for example) I'll sometimes bring both spray and handgun. Kind of the belt and suspenders approach, especially as my trail gun is only a .357... If the situation allows I'd prefer to hit a bear with the spray first but its nice to have a backup plan.

I'm with you on that. I used to carry a .338 on our hiking, fishing and berry picking trips. I found myself usually a couple paces away from the rifle...not handy for self defense and sometimes a little too handy for small children. I started carrying a .454 and the result is I'm armed a lot more of the time than I was with the .338. The wife doesn't carry a gun and we both carry pepper spray. I'm sure many would say If I want to adequately protect the family I should move up to a .500, or a 12ga, or a 37mm automatic cannon.

It can be seen as analagous to wearing a seatbelt. We (hopefully) won't get in a situation where seatbelts will be needed to save our lives. There is also the possibility that things could be so bad the seatbelts won't help, but it still feels better to have them on. If we wanted the best protection we'd wear five point racing harnesses, have a roll bar installed in the car and everyone would wear nomex suits and crash helmets.

In both cases one must make a reasonable compromise....and do all he can to avoid trouble in the first place!...Louis
    Louis Knapp

I wear both on my pack. The bear spray is always first. I have 4 good reasons. 1) Some bears actually charge when they hear a warning shot. 2) I have no desire to kill a sow and follow up by having to kill the cub she was defending. 3) A moving target isn't ideal, especially when I am encumbered with a full pack and hopped up on adrenalin. With bear spray, it is just point and shoot, and the bear runs right into a wall of fog. Either way, you may only have time for one shot. I prefer the odds with bear spray... No need to spend precious miliseconds on target aquisition. 4) I also have no desire to spend a day skinning out a bear and carrying out the hide and skull when I don't even get to keep them.... and lest we forget, that last point is Alaska State Law. I also carry a snub-nosed .357 loaded with bear rounds, mostly for a 2-legged deterrent, but also because I know bear spray isn't perfect, especially when there's a strong wind. The .357 isn't perfect either, but I know it will never be leaning against a tree 10 yards away when I need it, and it's more practical when surveying thru black spruce and bear brush, which is where I usually find myself.