Thread: Alaska Range-West

Default Alaska Range-West

Has anyone hunted Alaska Range-west, near Rainy Pass? Does anyone know the name of the two air strips north of it, south of the park boundary, I sort of know where they are located, and would like to check them out.

Default Names

You mean like Tatitna and Farewell or cub strips?

Default Airstrips

AK-Hunt,

They are cub strips, mainly gravel. I'll PM you later.

I have hunted out of a gravel cub strip along the Tatitna River and am aware of another near by.

Default Alaska range

Nope not there, its actually west of the parks boundary near Mystic Pass. Gonna try to fly it if its not cloudy or raining like its been the past few days.

Default OK

That is the place I pm'd ya about.

Default mystic

A friend and I hunted out of there a couple times. The last year was kind of a circus, one year 3 groups got dropped off there and lots of airtraffic. There is an air service out of Talkeetna that dropped off some of the guys, I guess they drop a group or two every year from what we heard. We saw lots of ewes and lambs, no legal sheep. To my knowledge none of the other 6 guys filled a tag either. I guess the feds gave the guiding rights in the preserve to the guide who does love, thunder and bull, and there is another guide that operates on the everything up to the preserve and park (who we ran in to.) In short, we moved west to get away from people. best of luck.

The Porcupine International strip......?

Wink

There are about ten different good cub strips on the Tonzona River. The Garbage Strip being the first you come to, when going through Mystic Pass. They are on both sides of the river. You can also land on floats at Amos Lake, and hike in from there. Real good area, but has been hit hard by the wolves in the past few years. There are alway big sheep and big moose to be had though, in the area. Just have to hunt harder now than you did a few years ago.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~