Thread: Admiralty Island Deer Hunt

Default Admiralty Island Deer Hunt

I'm looking into booking a forest service cabin on Admiralty island to hunt deer in early sept. Does anyone have any tips for location on the island. I think the deer should still be high around that time of year. Anyone know if any of the cabins have "easy" access to alpine area. Any tips would be helpful
    thanks

Default Young Lake

I've hunted out of Young Lake a few time. Either the North or South Cabin will give you easy access to alpine/treeline. I prefer the South cabin. Still a 1,500 - 2,000 vert climb, but you have big timber to cruise up in. Also, it's the cheapest place to fly in from J-town. ReserveUSA is the outfit to make online resvo's with.

Numbers are down quite a bit and still recovering. I've got good B/W aerials - much better than Google Earth has for this area. PM me if you want them.

Personally, I'd say the numbers are higher on Douglas Island and the mainland. If you want to hunt on the cheap and with hundereds of other hunters . . . .

Default Cabins on Admiralty

I used to live on Admiralty from the late 80s thru 2001. There are a couple cabins on the Chatham side of the island. One on Lake Kathleen and the other on Florence lake. The Kathleen cabin was always my favorite out of the two. There are also lots of old logging roads to follow when looking for deer. At Kathleen lake there is a huge meadow just inland from the cabin where we always found deer. Kathleen lake is also full of dolly varden so take a spinning rod and a few spinners. Florence lake has cuthroat trout in it, but we never really found as many deer around that lake. Keep your eyes open for brown bear. They were thick around both cabins. The creeks that flow off of both lakes hold a healthy run of salmon.

Good luck,

CubeCove

Thanks for the response. We booked on Kathleen lake for 4 nights. Whats the deal with native corp land surronding the lake. obtaining a permit, cost, hunting restrictions? Does this pose any real problem, or just money?