Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sea Sport owner's forum...?

Question Sea Sport owner's forum...?

How do we start a Sea Sport owner's forum on this thing? Something that will make the GC guys wish they had a Sea Sport just for the cool forum!

Second that idea.

Haha! Love it - there will be no end to the glass/tin can arguements.

Question Help????

Do i need to get out my can opener and ask the gc guys how they started their forum!

Wink

I'm guessing GC forked over some dough to support the forum. You may need a cutting torch to get to the bottom of this.

Default Sea Sport owner's forum...?

Because Seasport is now making Osprey boats would the forum include Osprey as well?

Quote Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post
    I'm guessing GC forked over some dough to support the forum. You may need a cutting torch to get to the bottom of this.
    Correct a mundo on the forkage. It was the GC owners group. You can PM me for details.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Hey guys, new to the forum. I live in southern california and i have a 1991 27ft Seasport Pilot. Not many of them here in the Los Angeles area. I was searching Seasport modifications on google and found the sight. I know there are a ton of Seasport and Ospreys in Alaska/Pacific NW so i think i might be a regular on your forums if you dont mind.

I would love to have a Seasport Forum of our own to kick around ideas and share pictures of modifications. ie Anchor Windlas, pot pullers, live bait tanks, house battery, and all stuff relating to Seasport/Osprey modifications as a resource. What happened to the possible forum? Do we need to pay for it? How could we get one started? It would be great if the the company itself just started a forum on their site for all of us!

Thanks guys, Reuben

Smile Count me in!

I own a 22" SeaSport, and have already learned tons of stuff from some of you guys. A dedicated forum would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    Haha! Love it - there will be no end to the glass/tin can arguements.
    I believe that the correct term is plastic/welded aluminum alloy.

All kidding aside, can a moderator or someone from the forum post how these get started? In a way I think it is nicer to have them all in one forum, since I have personally learned alot from both Seasport as well as GC owners here.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I believe that the correct term is plastic/welded aluminum alloy.

All kidding aside, can a moderator or someone from the forum post how these get started? In a way I think it is nicer to have them all in one forum, since I have personally learned alot from both Seasport as well as GC owners here.

Jim
    I believe the GC owner's group cost $100 for the year. GC has nothing to do with it. A group of owners and in-liners formed GCOG and started the sub forum. I too have learned a lot from both the tupper ware/ ping pong boat owners as well as the plate alloy guys.

Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Most the Sea Sport threads I see these days, are in the 'for sale' section.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Now that's funny..

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post

That is funny. The problem with the Aluminum for me was that i couldnt afford a new boat and had to buy used. There were not any offshore capable aluminum boats for sale when i was looking last year. You darn near had to order a new one and it was going to cost alot of money. I went the cheaper route, bought a used boat, and now have a alot of boat for my money.

The reason i wanted to get a dedicated thread was to see how you guys are rigging the seasports for fishing, and how your overcoming some of the rigging issues on our boats.
    For example, in southern california, we obviously rig a fishing boat in a different way than you guys do in Alaska/Pacific NW. In socal we really are dependent on having a live bait tank, and we anchor alot and fish over structre, ect. The Seasport has a unique bow area. I have yet to install an anchor windlass system. A windlass set up is ideal for us in socal b/c we might anchor 20+ times on a day of fishing and pulling the gear that many times gets tough. Not too mention that on a Seasport you have to walk along the gunnel to get to the bow. When you do this 20+ times a day, in not so perfect weather, or often at night on the islands ect....it becomes clear that a windlass system that you could control from the helm would be ideal and is alot safer.

Anyway, this is just an example of why i was looking to pool our resources and see what others have done to there boats.

..........and yes i know that aluminum/alloy pilot house boats are the new thing and all the rage and you can beach em, and not worry about gaffing the fiberglass as you bring big ol buts over the rail, but i didnt have the money for an aluminum offshore pilot house boat, and there weren't really any used ones available, and so i bought my Seasport. I love it and i am just trying to rig it properly and pool our resources.

PS..... I would be willing to chip in money if we had enough interest. Im in for 20 bucks or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    Because Seasport is now making Osprey boats would the forum include Osprey as well?

Seasport is making Osprey, Skagit and C-Dory to my understanding
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Default Count me in

Im good for $20. Are there are any other takers?

Reuben...good suggestion on the forum...but in response to your question about anchor windlass/winches, I used to have a 24' sea sport (2400 coho XL) and it came with an EZ anchor puller mounted on the bow. I absolutely loved the set-up, but had two minor issues with it.

One had to do with pulling the anchor all the way onto the davit (?) on the bow (I used a bruce anchor), and when you would pull the anchor all the way up, you'd have to go out onto the bow and nudge it over the edge (after first giving it a bit of slack), otherwise, it wouldn't fall off on it's own. When out on the water and moving between fishing spots, I simply wouldn't pull the anchor all the way up...I'd get the eye of the anchor up and part way over the roller, but would keep the anchor's center of gravity forward, so it would go down on it's own the next time.

The other had to do with the boat's overall balance, as it relates to the self-bailing deck. The anchor, winch, chain and rode all add the extra weight far forward on the boat and it affected how the water would drain off the decks, sometimes making it slightly bow-heavy and preventing rain/washdown water from draining out the holes in transom...especially if I had much gear stowed up in the v-berth.

Still, with that said, there was nothing better than being to stay in the wheelhouse (usually) and simply hit the toggle for raising/lowering the anchor. The EZ was definitely one of my favorite features with the boat.

Default I'm in $$$

I guess I have no choice but to anti-up a $20 for a forum, since I started this thread.

I would love the "push a button" anchoring gig, but I won't trade my giant anchor/rode set up for what fits in the Windlass's of todays markets. I have a three foot pulpit complete with the stainless railing that goes all the way around the bow and down the sides. You can walk right out on it and lean on the rail and harpoon a whale from it if you wanted. This makes the bouy retrival trick easier because it gets the rode out from the boat out on a point, easy to control. Plus, there is room to put in all away and lock it down on the roller.

Smile count me in

Tell me where the $20 needs to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast