Thread: Tomorrow at the range with the 30-06

Default Tomorrow at the range with the 30-06

I will be trying 165gr HPBT trying to finalize that load. Working with the concept of faster powder than H4350 type powder and using CCI 250gr primers to light the powder and burn it all up in a 22" barrel. Will see how sound and effective my theory will be tomorrow.

Also 180gr bullets using IMR4350.

Also, 240gr Woodliegh as I try and finalize my ultra heavy load for my 30-06.

Temp should be at starting time 67 degrees and by the time I finish it will be around 75 degrees, with winds at around 5 mph. Should be a perfect morning to accomplish some final details and hopefully good accuracy along with acceptable velocities for cartridge and bullet weight.

Kind of fun when you take a plan old 06 and can develop so many different loads with so many different weights of bullets. It keeps one from getting bored when your rifle is not limited to just a few really good bullet weights and loads as most cartridges are.

The 30-06 is like vanilla ice cream with all kinds of different toppings and they all taste good and go well with the vanilla ice cream. From 110-240grs and shoots them all well with the advantage of tweaking your rifle for any given or specific hunt or you can just go "All-So-Ran" using a 180gr bullet. Yes, lots of toppings and it is never boring.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have had and interesting day at the range. I am going to compromise on a 165gr load for hunting. The accuracy was not the best I have achieved with this 06 but is is consistent over multiple groups and velocity with no over max pressure signs is outstanding at 2922fps on average out of a 22" barrel.

I was able to use AA2495BR which is almost like IMR4895 on burn rate and 250 mag CCI primers to achieve this. Here is the worst group then the best group with the other two groups in between these but consistency was the key and at these velocities and with this acceptable hunting accuracy I will be going with when it comes to my 165gr load.

Now what I am really excited about and embarrassed at the same time is my 240gr Ultra Heavy for cartridge load using the 240gr Woodliegh. I am excited because I know I am about 2grs under max and got 2428fps on the average meaning I will get to at least 2475fps and possibly 2500fps out of a 22" barrel and that is not shabby at all for a 240gr bullet out of an 06. What I am embarrassed and upset about is that I had the first two rounds right together and got to talking to the guy next to me and rushed not only the time between rounds but new when I pulled the trigger that I had rush my shot and wished I could have called it back.

But I will do it again plus work up in half grain sets to see where I can go on velocity without being over max.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Here is my 220gr load and target from the other day
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Looks minute of bear to me

I always find your posts to be informative BT. You've consistently been a fine researcher and generously shared your data with others. Now I have to add "innovator" to the list...pushing a 240grn out of that great '06 cartridge is fun to watch you do. It's like watching a tractor pull at the county fair. You're the guy with the old tractor that pulls up to the line to drag a load that the big boys usually pull with their new shiny tractors. I've done 200's and 220's, but you're out there guy...whew-hooo.

Thanks Amigo and Doc, I am going to get up close to 2500fps and I mean there are no pressure signs so far using Winchester brass, Fed 210 primers, and IMR4350 with the 240gr Woodliegh bullet. What is so cool is that it does not kick any harder than my 358Win with a 225gr bullet. It is like driving a 55 Cadillac, takes off slower than other cars but is smooth and once it is going it is a great ride. Of course you know it is going to hit like a freight train, just like that 55 Cadillac, you don't come to a quick stop, the momentum is awesome.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS