Thread: CZ 550 Safari Magnum .375

Default CZ 550 Safari Magnum .375

Any experiences/thoughts on it? I have never handled one but they look sharp in the pictures. The reason I am thinking about this is I am tired of the"wood" on my old ZKK 602[some sort of European fence post] and was thinking of upgrading it. Since the CZ is essentially the same Action as the ZKK[I have been told] and I have always liked the 602,aside from the wood,I wonder if a new CZ would be a easier route than restocking the gun I have

I don't own one, but I'm in the market for a .375 and decided against them. It's a great gun. Well built. My issues are more personal preference. I like a 3 position safety and the CZ has a 2 position. I feel a .375 doesn't kick for anything, so I prefer a lighter gun. For me the CZ in .375 is unjustafiably heavy. Also the cheek piece is fat so I'm looking at the left side of the rear site and not the center. Those are all personal issues not necesarily issues with the gun. The only real beef I have with the gun in .375 is: They basicly use the same contour stock from .375-.505 Gibbs. I'm sure it's quite adiquet/necessary from a .505, but overkill for a .375. The stock is excessively thick and bulky at the grip. In my oppinion they need to use a slimmer contour stock for lighter chamberings like the .375. It just feels like a 2x4 to me. Again those are just my personal preferences and observations about the CZ.

Although I actually would prefer an H&H I decided to go with a Ruger just because I like the M77 African so much. I love their open sites. They have a large white front bead with a v notch rear site with a white center line. The set up makes for extremely fast target aquisition. It is a much nicer site than the CZ or Remington in my opinion and much faster. The stock also happens to fit me like a glove. Like the CZ it has controled round feed, but has a 3 position safety unlike the CZ. I do have a few beefs with the gun, so I will have to customize it. The recoil pad is fair at best. It will be replaced for sure. The trigger is so/so and nowhere near as nice as the other rifles I own and am accustomed to. So it too will be fixed. The other beef is the safety is very narrow and in the back safe position it is very difficult to get a good grip on it with your thumb. Not an issue with your average rifle, but on a dangerous game rifle that could mean the difference between 1 shot or 2 at an animal that could hurt you. So I'm either going have a gunsmith add to the safety to make it more substancial or just have a new piece milled to replace it. The best part is the rifle is 7.75lbs unscoped. So it should come in at 8.75-9lbs scoped. To me that's a perfect weight for a .375.

Ther Remington 700 are great rifles, but I don't like their open sites and I prefer a controled round feed for a dangerous game rifle.

The Kimbers are very nice rifles. I own one in .325 and love it. However I don't want to shell out the money for a Kiprivi. They have the stainless/synthetic Talkeetna which would be great for up here, but it hopelessly doesn't fit me. It's way too short, so I'm looking at the front site well above the rear site. Being a synthetic stock there is nothing I could do about it unless I went with a custom synthetic or wood stock.

Just my 2 cents.

Brett

Thanks Brett,good post. It is starting to look to me like I should just keep the 602 and customize it as I like. I also feel the ZKK is to heavy for a .375-I would't hesitate to rechamber for a 378 WBY.

I'm not crazy about the .378 and .375rum. The extra recoil just doesn't seem justified to me. I'll gladly suffer more recoil for a larger bore (larger wound chanel) or heavier bullet (more momentum/penetration), but to just make a 300 grain .375 bullet go faster doesn't seem worth it to me. Especially when I consider a 300 grain tsx at 2600 stops nicely under the skin on the off side shoulder of a broadside cape buffalo without exiting. Any more and you may hit whatever is behind it. Again just my 2 cents.

Brett

PS. I just looked at cz's website. 10lbs for an unscoped .375H&H is CRAZY to me. There's just no need. It would be pushing 11lbs scoped! That's double rifle weight. Heyms 500NEs are only 10.5lbs! Something funny I saw on the CZ website is a Safari Classic line of 550s. They have a .300H&H at 10lbs! What???? Who in there right mind would want a 10lb unscoped 30 cal?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    I'm not crazy about the .378 and .375rum. The extra recoil just doesn't seem justified to me. I'll gladly suffer more recoil for a larger bore (larger wound chanel) or heavier bullet (more momentum/penetration), but to just make a 300 grain .375 bullet go faster doesn't seem worth it to me. Especially when I consider a 300 grain tsx at 2600 stops nicely under the off side shoulder of a broadside cape buffalo without exiting. Any more and you may hit whatever is behind it. Again just my 2 cents.

Brett
    I was thinking trajectory more than power 375 vs .378. It just seems a shame to waste that Magnum length action on a "short" .375 H&H. I have a lot of mag length not being used. Yes I am a gun crank

That's cool. My cousin is too. Before we went to Tanzania for a buffalo hunt he bought a remington xcr in .375rum. Ouch!!!! That thing killed! He ended up adding an answer muzzle break and a lot of lead to the stock and he can handle recoil. By the time he got it to a managable recoil level it weighed a million pounds, deafened anyone in a 3 mile radius, and was still shooting 300 grain .375 bullets! At the time I made the mistake of buying a remington 700 classic in .375 with a muzzle break and no iron sites. Since then I've learned volumes more than I knew then about dangerous game hunting and dangerous game rifles. I love remingtons, but not for dangerous game. So I'm selling her in favor of something with CRF, 3 position safety, iron sites, no four letter wording muzzle break, and I'm upgrading to QD mounts. It should be a heck of an all around safari rifle not to mention the local brownies.

Brett

I have one gun with a muzzle break[a 700 Rem .300 WBY I bought used]with a MB the previous owner had installed.[1] On a gun of that power,I do all my load development/sighting off the bench with a 25 pound shot bag between my shoulder and the butt,and its like shooting a .223.[2] I have never felt recoil shooting at game[3] I do not hunt with hearing protection[who would] and I think 3 quick shots with that thing,with no plugs/muffs would deafen me for life [4] it adds 2 worthless inch's to the barrel. I really think recoil is not that important on a hunting rifle. As you suggest,the weight you have been carrying around is.

I've got one and it is, without question, the nicest shooting big-bore rifle I've ever shot. Yes it's heavy. Yes the stock is thick. Yes the pistol grip is slightly bulkier than others. The action is designed to handle everything up to and through the .585 Nyati. Anytime you have a gun capable of a broad range of chambering, there are going to be compromises on either end with a sweet spot in the middle. The sweet spot for this rifle is probably the .458 Lott.

I like that the recoil pad is huge, it doesn't leave bruises on my shoulder. I like that the stock is in-line with the action, it doesn't give me scope-eye. I like that the cheekpiece actually aligns my eye to the scope tube. I like that it's got a 26" bbl that puts the muzzle blast that much further away from my ear. I REALLY like the set trigger. A little scratchy at first, but after 100 pulls on a snap-cap, it's really, really nice. And did I mention it's stupidly accurate for a big-game rifle? 3 Federal Premium 260gr AccuBonds into .8" @ 100yds off a bipod in the seated position.

Yes it is heavy; 11.2lbs with Leupold Vari-X II 2-7 in Warne Maxima QD mounts and a sling, but I'm not carrying it up and down a mountain over and over again stalking sheep. I use it when I'm hunting big animals in close cover after I've spotted them from above. In that aspect, it's actually quite perfect for me.

Of course, your mileage may vary