Thread: Avoiding or at least minimizing outfitter costs

Default Avoiding or at least minimizing outfitter costs

My son and I would like to spend a week in Alaska this fall to upland bird hunt and stream/river fish for trout and salmon. We crave action, not trophies.

If we have to go the outfitter route we will, but we have a limited budget and would rather rent a vehicle in Anchorage or Fairbanks and scout for decent bird cover or intertesting streams.

Ideas, suggestions, warnings are all welcome.

I think your best bet would be Fairbanks for a variety of birds

Fairbanks and the Denali Highway between Cantwel and Paxson are good bets for plenty of upland bird hunting and some duck/ geese hunting as well. There is also good grayling, lake trout, and burbot fishing in those areas that does not require the use of outfitters. Renting a car or truck in Fairbanks and possible a canoe will really open up your opportunities and should not cost you a small fortune. If you have a good bird dog I would bring him or her along as well as they sure do help when trying to locate ptarmigan on the tundra.

Fairbanks is your best bet, but if you rent a car at Anchorage you can get into some good fishing/birdhunting towards the KP.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me