Thread: 18 ft cat on the lower kenai

Default 18 ft cat on the lower kenai

anyone run the river down there? wondering how much motor is required to get back up. i have never had a motor on my raft so have no clue what it will take. thanks

Default ?lower Kenai River?

r-duke,

I run a 9.9 HP Honda on my 18 foot AIRE Leopard. I use it to get across Skilak Lake from the upper river to the upper Skilak boat ramp.

While fishing the "middle" Kenai in October with other friends and with their boats, I have saw an 18 foot cat running the same motor I have. With three guys, and none of them huge guys, the rig could go upstream at a very slow pace. During those short Oct. days they lost alot of fishing time crawling upstream.

Hope this helps answer your question. The archives have a lot of info concerning our rafts and motors on flat water, but in the last few years this might be the first time anybody asked about "upstream rate of travel".

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Default Here's a link...

with some of the info Dennis mentioned:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=53747

Default its all lower below skilak, right?

thanks for the replies fellas, i ran into a guy down at spirit lake last wknd that told me his 16 footer was under powered with a 2 stk yammy 25. ill be borrowing a buddys 15 yammy 4 stk for this weekend and wondered if it would be enough. most of my "rafting" as the wife calls it is between sports and jim, one way!

Live free or die!

Default its all lower below skilak, right?

thanks for the replies fellas, i ran into a guy down at spirit lake last wknd that told me his 16 footer was under powered with a 2 stk yammy 25. ill be borrowing a buddys 15 yammy 4 stk for this weekend and wondered if it would be enough. most of my "rafting" as the wife calls it is between sports and jim, one way!

Live free or die!