Thread: Marlin 45/70 low recoil loads

Default Marlin 45/70 low recoil loads

I might be able to get a Marlin 45/70 for a good price, and want to use it as a hiking, camping, maybe one day hunting gun. Obviously it would be the best choice for defense as well. The only thing is that alot of people have their 45/70s just sitting, and I don't want mine to. I can assume there are other reasons for sitting guns but the recoil on a 45/70 is pretty harsh I've heard.

If I get this gun I want to have fun with it and take it to the range without tearing up my shoulder. Can anyone link me to some cheap low recoil rounds, or have any other advice?

If this is not the gun I should get then I can grab a 30-30 for alot less, but woouldnt be good for protection. SO is there any criticism or advice for a roadtrip,hiking,camp gun?

Thanks

Any 45/70 designed to be used in the trap door type rifle will be mild to shoot.

Default loads

my favorite rifle/caliber is the 45/70. I just got done working up some cast bullet loads, the bullet is 405 grain with 40.7 grains of imr 3031 this load clocked 1350 fps is very mild in the recoil department and incredibly accurate! I am getting groups of an inch at 200 yards. If you get the gun put a good simms recoil pad on (mine is the slip on) and spend 100 bucks at wild west guns and get the new ejector and trigger that they sell. The trigger takes 10 minutes to install and is a better trigger than any bolt gun i own. If you dont cast bullets just buy the bulk remington 405 grain bullets and use the same powder charge. Good solid gun you wont be sorry.

you could use a Limbsaver recoil pad, that works pretty good.

does anyone know if there are any places in Fairbanks that carries low recoil rounds? or online? Thanks

The Remington/Winchester stuff is mild plinking ammo

Default Milder 45-70 ammo

Yes it's available, maybe??? but all ammo is hit or miss now with the run. As was posted, the trapdoor type ammo is lower pressure, lower veloctiy- thus less recoil. A common type in this category is the Remington 45-70 with the 405 gr JSP bullet. Fairly easy to shoot and tends to be very accurate in most guns. The ideal low recoil, range, fun shooting ammo for the 45-70 is the cast bullet stuff loaded down to about 1100-1200 fps with the 350-400 gr cast bullets, but that is a reloading proposition. The 45-70 is an easy round to reload and would be an excellent candidate if you are so inclined to get into that

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

A 30-30 is good for protection too, but maybe a 45-70 is gooder.

A 30-30 would weigh less, and you wouldn't find a handier gun for hiking etc.

I'd say, pick the one you like, rather than a 45-70 just because it is more powerful.

You may like the Marlin 45-70 better, and the extry power could out-weigh the the extry weight.

I got a Marlin 30-30, way back when, for the same purpose as yours, (I regret selling it.) but they didn't have Marlin 45-70 Guide Guns back then.

Hmm, what would I do now?

I know what I shoulda done. Got it in 35 Remington and kept it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Like Smitty, I wouldn't frown on a 35 Remington with the right ammo, but I think the 45-70 is more gooder for AK & ammo is easier to get.
    As was said, the factory Remington ammo in 405 grain that sits in most stores is mild in recoil. It spits the 405 gr bullet out at around 1200 fps. That makes it comporable to the 480 Ruger handgun which is noothing to sneeze at. You can also get 420gr cast bullets to do about 1800 fps from the same gun should you ever desire. Very versatile!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

The 300 gr. loads don't kick bad, but are not suitable for anything more than deer. The 405 JSP load from Remmy doesn't kick bad...it is loaded to trapdoor Springfield level pressures. The various cowboy loads don't kick bad. If you handload, a hardcast 405 gr. at an equivalent load to the Remmy 405 would be a nice low recoil penetration round.

Just fill up the case with RL-22 or 25, IMR-7828, XMP-8700, or H-1000, and go shooting. Any slow powder will work great. Use a chronograph to keep records so you can load up as you get used to the recoil. These powders will make you smile.
    You can call Accurate and they'll give tell you a load using the XMP-5744. I use 37.5 grains behind a 575 grain cast, gas-checked bullet to get 1150fps out of my .500 A-Square. I know they'll have a good slow, and fun load for the .45/70.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Having never fired a 45-70 before I was wondering how light these light recoil loads are. I had a two shoulder surgeries a few years ago and have mostly handgun hunted since then. With my recent move to AK I really would like a 45-70; Iím just not sure how much thumping my shoulder would take.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWag View Post
    Having never fired a 45-70 before I was wondering how light these light recoil loads are. I had a two shoulder surgeries a few years ago and have mostly handgun hunted since then. With my recent move to AK I really would like a 45-70; Iím just not sure how much thumping my shoulder would take.

Factory loaded Remington 405 grain basic (cheap) ammo fir the 45-70 is very mild. It is loaded for use in the trap door rifles which are not very strong. Recoil with these loads is very light. Velocity in the 18" guide gun is about 1150 fps and I've seen seven year old kids shoot this ammo in the Marlin rifle. A problem with it is that the ammo is somewhat dirty and not very accurate. They make plinking ammo but that is about all. If you handload this load can be duplicated and made cleaner with 34.0 grains of RL-7 powder and any cast 400 grain bullet.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by BigWag View Post

While I love my 450 Guide gun, if you enjoy handgun hunting look to the Contender frame for 45-70 pleasure. They are a hoot!
    Or for an even bigger hoot, I have a 15" 450 Marlin barrel for an Encore handgun. It has the factory brake which is very effective (Barrel is excellent). Bushnell Trpthy 2-6 x32 matte scope, Warne rings (all as new) on a Weaver base. Comes with a standard forend, a heavy custom forend sling swivel & bipod studs & a grip with sling swivel stud. Maybe some other misc. stuff. I just don't have any Encore frames anymore.
    Whether you get mine or something else, they are sweet. From the prone position with a bipod or rest I could routinely break clay pigeons at 200 yds with the cheap Rem. 405 gr bullets in my handloads (about 1700fps, not max load).
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."