Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheep/Goat hunting tent

Default Sheep/Goat hunting tent

I am looking for a new tent for Sheep hunting. (wife has already pre-aproved me for the new tent) I know I want a light two person tent that I can pack around with me. What I don't know is if I should get a free standing tent like a Seedhouse SL2 or something like the Nallo 2GT. I have never had much luck with tent stakes.

So what do you guys think?

What tents do you guys pack?

well, i have a BA copper spur UL1. it sure is light. ive been pondering the idea of sending it back to get a hilleberg akto or nallo gt maybe. hilleberg has A LOT of followers and comes HIGHLY recommended. i can see why with the 4 season capabilities and quality of their tents. so, my vote goes to hilleberg nallo gt... goodluck bud!

one nice thing about the nallo is that you can set up the fly w/out the tent, and if you don't need the full-on tent you can go even lighter.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I would also recommend you review the Black Diamond superlight freestanding tents - they have worked well for my hunts and I have no complaints.

http://www.bdel.com/gear/tents_overview.php

Default Exped Aries Mesh

A tent that is almost identical to the Nallo 2 is the Exped Aries Mesh. It weighs a tad bit more than the Nallo 2 but has just about all the features and you can find one for around 1/2 the price. You can do the same thing w/the fly/footprint on it as the Nallo. The fly and footprint would likely tip the scales at a little over 2 lbs for sunny days and it has an incredible amount of room inside. If $ doesn't matter I'd go with one of the dependable Hillebergs. I looked inside some of the other tents you mentioned and the walls on most of them are V-shaped which will give you less volume inside and a chlostrophobic (spelling?) feeling...especially if you are stuck in them for any length of time in a rainstorm.

I have a B/A seedhouse 1 and it is a great tent, It however is no where near the same league as my Nallo! I was nervous about going to a non freestanding tent but honestly to be not freestanding my Nallo wants to stand! It is not like some tents where it seems like you have to have it tied super tight to just hold it up. Hard to explain it but once you put it up the first time you will understand.

Default Bibler Eldorado

I drink coke while everyone else drinks Pepsi.
    I run a bibler eldorado. I really like it a lot. The Hillies are awesome tents and I have thought about going to that as well. In Alaska it is always good to have two of the best options(or so I tell myself).

The Eldorado is a free standing dome tent that weighs 4.5 lbs and is composed of two crossing poles. You put it up from the inside. You can easily get good enough to get it up in under 2 minutes in a down pour.

You should look at reviews of it. It has a very small footprint which means you can set it up anywhere.

They take them up everest and Denali and they don't get condensation if you know how to run the zips. They are warm. Mine extends my sleeping bag down 10 degrees.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Default My Choice

I chose a Hilleberg Jannu. I have had it for 3 years now and cannot say enough good things about it. I wanted a tent that would free stand...it does. I wanted a tent that is light weight but heavy duty...it is. I wanted a tent that would be a huge 1 person tent or 2 person with no gear in it...ditto. I wanted a deal...well, you can't have everything and you get what you pay for.

Cheers,

Matt

coke and pepsi....

You know, it's really awesome that we have so many quality tents to choose from. We can all choose one based on our own wants, needs and areas of compromise. One size definitely does not fit all and it's not a matter of right or wrong or good or bad when your dealing with the quality tents. Although I do prefer Coke

I wanted a bomber free standing, exoskeleton double walled tent for two guys with a little vestibule and elbow room. I almost bought the Jannu but I have no intention of using it solo. I went with the Hilleberg Tarra- basically a Jannu with two doors, two vestibules, two more pounds and a thicker fabric, floor and poles. Willing to compromise the extra pound or so in my pack to get it. Now I just need to get it dirty!

I bought a Hilleberg Jannu. I'm thrilled. I had no idea how good a lightweight tent could be. Worth every penny.

I also have a 2 door Eldorado and am very happy with it. Not only dry (tho a single wall tent) but is warmer. It is bomber tough and just enough for two people. I would go anywhere - well, maybe not the tropics - with it and have no worries.

I'm thinking about going to a Hilleberg Kaitum for the vertical end walls- even though it has an 87" length I'm thinking I'll fit better (tall).

I have a brand new Bibler Ahwahnee that, besides the 90" advertised length, is a bit too small. It appears to be a stout tent- I have hesitated to seam seal and use it only so I can return it for something longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    I have never had much luck with tent stakes.
    Use stuff sacks filled with rocks as substitutes. If money isn't an issue I don't think you will be disipointed with a Hilleberg.

Brett

Default hilleberg

Default Bibler I-Tent

I have the Black Diamond (Bibler) I tent and love it. Same as the eldorado but is 5 inches smaller and only has one door. I take it everywhere. A little pricey, but when I do plan a hunt I don't have to worry about the tent.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Default weight

so everyone is shooting for around 5-6 pounds for a 2 or 3 man sheep hunting tent...it looks like. I can't seem to find much lighter on the www.

We are hunting the chugach in October....and want to go really light, but also don't want to get caught in a 3 day snow storm with just a tarp...so I am looking at the tent options.

Money is an issue for me - I am looking at spending between 4 and 5 hundred on one - I would like it to last for years of mountain hunting though and would spend more if the weight and durability is better.

Has anyone used http://www.rei.com/product/764477 the black diamond oasis 3 ?

At the 500 mark you are getting mighty close to the price of the standard nallo2 ($550). I prefer the GT for the enormous vestibule but it is quite a bit more than your price range $645...

Check out the review from the REI website, I think it speaks volumes as it is actual field use in a situation you are fairly likely to see. The 5 star marks all come from car campers...

Comments about Black Diamond Oasis 3 Tent:
    On initial appearance, this tent looks very nice, 2.7kg weight, very roomy for 2, good access, easy to setup up. The 5 pole design is nice and gives for a very tight frame.

Why i've given this tent 1 star, is that the first night I used it in the mountains of Western Australia (not very big about 1000m/3000F), it was turned into a complete bin job.

Wind was strong with big gusts, but we were camped in between some trees,

This tent soaks up wind nicely from the back end, which is where the wind initially came from. However, when the wind started swirling and hitting from the front and sides, this tent could not take it.

It held up for most of the night, but a small rip occured in the fly of the vestibule by morning. That was ok, but at about 6am a big gust came from the lateral side and broke the poles, ripping a huge hole in the fly as well.

To be fair, conditions probably were extreme and i dont know how well other domes would have stood up.

I'm giving this tent 1 star because I think that having 3 guy points is completely inadequate and does not give the vestibule and the sides enough support. This tent should have 2 guy points on the sides as well as 2 on the vestibule. This may have saved it.

• What Is Your Gear Style:
    • Minimalist

Bottom Line No, I would not recommend this to a friend

Default reviews

I missed that one - thanks for c/p it here.

Do you have the nallo 2 or 3 GT ? How is it for size? I am almost as growd up as you are.....hope not to be so shapely come October....but my length won't change.

I have been looking at the 2gt - - I will spend more $$ if it is worth it in longevity and quality of product.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I missed that one - thanks for c/p it here.

Do you have the nallo 2 or 3 GT ? How is it for size? I am almost as growd up as you are.....hope not to be so shapely come October....but my length won't change.

I have been looking at the 2gt - - I will spend more $$ if it is worth it in longevity and quality of product.
    I have the Nalo 4 GT but the length is the same for all of them so you should be in good shape in that area. I have 3 boys and 2 cousins and we all hunt together so the 4 was the best all around for me. W/ just two people is is an absolute castle! The 2 or 3 would be a better choice for more normal situations. The Nallo's are a great bomber tent and in my opinion well worth the cost. I really like the tunnel tent design, there are lots of nay-sayers out there that scoff at it because it is not free standing but I just haven't had a problem in that area. Stake one end of the tent while it is laying flat then go around grab the other end and pull, it stands right up and is quite tight. If you can't stake it due to the rocky terain then supliment w/ stuff sacks and rocks. Ventilation is awesome and I simply love the giant vestibule of the GT series, that said you can probably save some money going w/ the regular Nallo 2 and picking up a sil-tarp to give you added gear storage, or just a nice pack cover that can be used as outside dry storage.

What ever you go with I highly reccommend getting a bright contrasting color tent. I wish I had the red but green was all that was available when I ordered my tent if you are in country you are not super familiar with being able to spot your tent like a beacon below is very nice!

Default castle

I am used to a 12 man Kifaru Tipi - - so I don't think that the 3GT or the 2GT is going to feel very big to me :-).....In colorado I modified a 8x10 silnylon tarp with some beaks and worked very good for us using a nylon ground cloth. But in October - in these mountains I think that I want something a little "tighter". Not sure whether to go with the 2GT or the 3GT YET....I kinda hate to spend that much for a small tent but I know I do like quality and it comes with a higher pricetag.....now to save up for those wiggy bags........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast