Thread: trip from AK to AR

Default trip from AK to AR

Wanted to get some opinions on the best way to preserve cape/meat/hide should I get lucky in Aug. Here are the details, I am flying up to AK from Arkansas in Aug to hunt sheep and bear. On the return trip, I fly from Fairbanks to Anchorage to Denver. In Denver, my wife picks me up from the airport and we drive back to Arkansas (she is staying with family in Colorado while I go hunting). So in all the trip back will be roughly 3 days. My partner said he has a freezer so I can freeze everything before I leave Alaska. So what is the best way to preserve everything? Obviously if I drop off the sheep cape and/or bear hide to a taxidermist there in AK to have to complete mount done, the shipping cost would be astronomical once it is complete. But I'm thinking the hair might start to slip if I try to bring it back with me. I think someone mentioned getting the hide tanned up there, but not mounted, then shipping it back down here. Is that feasible? Any idea how much that would cost?

Also, if thoroughly frozen, will the meat last 3 days if I can keep it in a cooler and keep it iced? Or am I better off trying to overnight it? How much would that be? I just don't want anything to spoil. Thanks for the help.

If you flesh, salt, roll up and then keep the capes cool, they should survive three days. you can also have someone up here tan it and then send it south, shipping would be cheaper.
    Pack the meat in wetlock boxes or other suitable container. They have to be waterproof, check with the airline. Use ice packs, keep it closed tight, I usually tape the seams, and it will last the three days. Check before making the drive and get more ice packs if needed.

Default meat and cape care

Check your pm.

Default shipping

actually shipping a sheep shoulder mount and or a bear rug.....is not that expensive....i think less than a hundred bucks each....considering a sheep shoulder mount is 900 bucks and a rug can be 1000-2000 dollars....the shipping is pretty cheap......also can i ask if your hunting partner is considered second degree of a kindred?.....i'm sure you know that you'd need a guide or second degree of kindred to hunt sheep and if that bear were brown.....just don't want you to get in trouble....i'd suggest you atleast take your sheep to a reputable taxidermist up here....or a really really good one down there......lots of taxidermists in the lower forty eight would slap there own mother to mount a dall sheep and are willing to give you a "smoking" deal.....what you end up with is a cross eyed sheep with the horns on wrong and its been bleached to high heaven.......however lots of taxidermists down there are pretty good at bears......if you do decide to have the work done down there and are worried about the hides making the trip home ....you can leave the hides and skulls with a taxidermist to salt and dry and clean.....which they can later send directly to you or your taxidermist....you will be charged a prepping fee and an expiditing fee...
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default clarification

Sorry, should have clarified: I am an AK resident stationed in AR (Little Rock AFB). So no worries about the guide/second degree on kindred issue. Thanks for the info so far!

Default how long are you planning on being absent?

if not for too long you might wanna get your stuff mounted up here and see if a buddy will keep it for you......(most good friends will let you put a sheep on their wall)....anyways...i wish you good luck on your hunt
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default Meat

I don't know what airlines currently charge for excess baggage but checked baggage is in a hold that is COLD when in flight. So the thawing and/or spoiling of meat in flight is no problem (I've done it several times to NY).

If your wife is meeting you - just have some well insulated coolers and you should have no problems over 3 days with the meat. I hae no experience with capes so that advice comes from someone else. I do know (from experience) that you should have a firm understanding of costs before you have someone local mount your animals & ship them.

I did have a black bear rug done several years ago and then had it shipped and I was very pleases with the results.

I also had a pronghorn shoulder mount done in NM and had a "gold mine" experience - he got the gold & I got the shaft.