Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Palmer creek bear baiters

Default Palmer creek bear baiters

I've been trying to take my sister on a trip up to Ak sometime this summer as a gift (she just graduated from college). I was thinking a 3 day hiking trip would be kind of fun for her. I've been thinking of hunting the hills above Palmer creek this fall when the berries come out so I thought I'd use it as an excuse to go scout the area out.

My question is if the area would be a decent place to take her camping. My plan was to park around the campground at mile 6 where the road supposably narrows. From there we would hike the road to get above the treeline and pitch a tent 2 or so miles from the road's end. After that we'll set up camp and spend a few days hiking around the alpine tundra.

In a previous post on the area people warned me that the bear hunters hit that area pretty hard during the baiting season and if the area is super busy, I'm thinking I might just take her to summit or devil's creek, but I've never been to Palmer creek so if the area isn't terribly busy and the scenery is good, I figure I'll give it a shot. What do you think?

If guys hunting and baiting the area pretty good, how far from the road do they go and how far back on the road to they go? I don't mind if there's a lot of pressure in the first 6 miles since we'll be driving that section. If the area beyond the campground looks like deer season in southern wisconsin though I'm thinking there might be better areas to hike. We'll be going in the first or second week of June and it won't be on a weekend if that makes any differance.

By the way, I was thinking of putting this in the hiking section, but thought this would be a better place since my main concern involved the hunting pressure on the area.

Default Palmer Creek?

Not real sure where Palmer Creek is.
    -Caleb-

lol somewhere near palmer?

The area is just south of Hope on the Kenai. From what I hear, the area gets hunted pretty hard, but I'm hopeing that the baiters will be mostly along the first 6 or so miles from the road.

Default bear baiting

ends on 6/15. seriously doubt that it would in any way interfer with a fall trip.
    baits legally have to be 1/4 mile from a publically maintained road or trail.
    as long as you're not busting brush looking for baits or hunters, you probably won't be aware of any you pass. I doubt you will find any bait stations above treeline.
    its a big state - plenty of room for all - have fun.
    Gary

Default Palmer Creek

It's a gorgeous area- my wife and I had a caribou tag for the area last year and spent a lot of time up there. You can travel the road past the campground and take it all the way to the end- 4 WD would be helpful, but as long as it's not too muddy, not essential. We saw a couple of 2 WD sedans on the road, and didn't have to rescue any of them. There are a couple of trails leading up into the tundra, the better ones are almost all the way at the end of the road. We saw caribou, moose, black bears and a mountain goat in the area, and wolf track in the snow up high. I think if you head up towards the end of the road, you'll find really good camping and hiking spots, and very few bait stations. Good luck- if you can use more detailed info, drop me a PM.

-Tom-

Well let's look at this.....The gate is still closed, and will be till June first. Also there are cabins right to the start of the Palmer creek road. So if they are baiting they are packing Bait at least one mile all up hill. Some have gone around the gate on bicycles, but I doubt many 55 Gallon drums have been hauled in yet.......But maybe......

Palmer Creek got 4" of snow today.

4" of snow! How high in elevation was the snow?

Didn't realize that you had to bait 1/4 mile from the road. I've hunted bears before, but never baited so I always skipped over that section. I was picturing walking by a bait station every 1/2 mile till I got near the treeline. I wouldn't mind it so much, but my sister has never been up there so I figured I wanted to take her someplace scenic, and do my scouting in one trip.

What do you think the odds are of the road opening by June 1st. Last year I heard the gate was closed longer than normal. It will probably be around the 6th when I get up there.

The snow fell today above 2,700 ASL on the "Front Range". The Gate opens when the road is safe. Last year many avalanches, this year only one across the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    ends on 6/15. seriously doubt that it would in any way interfer with a fall trip.
    baits legally have to be 1/4 mile from a publically maintained road or trail.
    as long as you're not busting brush looking for baits or hunters, you probably won't be aware of any you pass. I doubt you will find any bait stations above treeline.
    its a big state - plenty of room for all - have fun.
    Gary
    Actually the baiting season was extended 'til June 30 in unit 7, just thought i'd clear that up.

Default palmer creek

this drainage is closed to baiting.

I will be watching for the illegal bear baiter who has set up back in the first right hand logging road cut in, approximately 1/2 mile from the palmer creek gate.

This station is less than one mile from homes directly to the west it is also less than 1/4 mile from palmer creek road.
    Once i have your vehicle license number, i will be passing it along to fish and wildlife officers.

Default not to mention....

resurrection creek and all tributarys are closed to baiting.

Quote Originally Posted by TEH HITMAN View Post
    I will be watching for the illegal bear baiter who has set up back in the first right hand logging road cut in, approximately 1/2 mile from the palmer creek gate.

This station is less than one mile from homes directly to the west it is also less than 1/4 mile from palmer creek road.
    Once i have your vehicle license number, i will be passing it along to fish and wildlife officers.
    If it is one of the dozens of UN-Registered Bait stations in this area, what will they give him a ticket for......... parking on a gold claim......? He would just say, it is not my bait thingie......and even if they caught him in the stand, which they would not, but if they did, "Oh a guy in the bar, said I could use it, sorry....no I don't know his name". "and I am not hunting, I study birds" See all the pretty birds.

I am beginning to see that people with registered stations get tickets, and people with unregistered bird feeders 1/8 mile off road do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    I am beginning to see that people with registered stations get tickets, and people with unregistered bird feeders 1/8 mile off road do not.
    Nice observation! It just stinks that it's like this.

Cool check fish and game

it is legal to bait palmer creek. i have for years. lots of bears. it sucks to haul bait up the mnt. but well worth it when snow melts and bears start hitting. my best is 8 differnt bears in one day. ihave been privelaged toa citation from park ranger who patrols area for driving around gate so would not recommend it. p.s. no shortage of brown bears in area either.

My "GUESS" is that station was operated by one of your neighbors, who lives over on Nearhouse.

So TEH HITMAN are you the person responsible for the No Parking stickers on the cars and trucks at the Palmer Creek Trail Head this past Saturday........???

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    So TEH HITMAN are you the person responsible for the No Parking stickers on the cars and trucks at the Palmer Creek Trail Head this past Saturday........???

Bump.........

Default look at page 30 of regs.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnypoacher View Post
    it is legal to bait palmer creek. i have for years. lots of bears. it sucks to haul bait up the mnt. but well worth it when snow melts and bears start hitting. my best is 8 differnt bears in one day. ihave been privelaged toa citation from park ranger who patrols area for driving around gate so would not recommend it. p.s. no shortage of brown bears in area either.
    it is NOT legal to bait in resurrection creek or tributary drainages.
    ( page 30, green highlighted area. )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast