Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep hunt gear list

Smile Sheep hunt gear list

I'm still a rookie at this, but i like to think i do my homework, both reading and getting personal experience. well find out in AUG but here goes...

Kimber montana 8400 .325 with leupold 4x12. 7LBS
    20 bullets no box 1. lbs
    Kifaru long hunter guide pack-7200 CU- 6 LBS 3 oz
    Jet boil stove 15z
    1fuel bottle per person 6.5 oz
    gerber sliding saw 6.7 oz
    mountain house freeze dried 2 a day. 10 days= 6.25 LBS
    nature valley granola bar 3 a day. (1080 callories from 4.5 oz awesome!)
    30 bars =2.8 LBS
    MSR Cloudliner Hydration Reservoir 6.2 oz
    leica geovid (8x42 w range finder built in) 32 oz
    leica 62 televid spotter 32 oz
    spotting scope tripod 22 oz vanguard from cabelas
    GPS garmin 60csx 7.5 oz
    camera digital small 5 oz
    3 liter water= 6 lbs ( wont carry this much untill last water source)
    1 nalgene bottle 3.5 oz
    wilderness athlete hydrate and recover/energy focus .05 oz a peice 10 oz for 10 days
    scalples for detail work, 2 gerber knives @ 1.2 oz a peice= 2.4 oz
    blister kit/first aid kit, VERY SMALL 1.5 oz
    Huba HP tent 3 lbs packed.
    cats meow sleeping bag 2 lbs
    emergency space blanket 3 oz
    rain gear sitka nimbus set-2.5 LBS
    sitka gear traverse shirt 9 oz
    sitka 90% jacket 1.6 lbs
    sitka celsius or rivers west watch cap 4 oz(cant decide rivers west is warmer and water proof)
    topo map 1 oz (if that)
    duck tape 3 oz
    game bag 9 oz
    lighter 2 oz
    gloves sitka celsius 8 0z...like the look of the new stuff too.
    leki super malku poles 20 oz

48.6 LBS total...if i can add right and didnt forget anything.
    Thats included 6 lbs of water which i wont need most the time untill up on top with no water, i wont be carrying all this weight up the mountain, drop camp when i see sheep.

For boots i wear la sportiva trango s evo
    For base layer: sitka core
    pants: sitka ascent pant/mammut champs i love the sitka gear feel and drying ability plus its camo. The champs are probally more durabal and have been around much longer but black.
    hat:sitka ball cap

any input and other peoples gear list would be much appreciated.

If I may ask, why are you bringing a hydration reservoir, a Nalgene bottle and a 3 litre water container? I carry 1 Nalgene bottle and so does my partner and that's it. I've never had any problem finding water in the sheep mountains hence my need for only 1 bottle. Here's a few things I didn't see on your list that are on mine:

Sunglasses
    T/P
    toiletries
    Dried soups, helps cut down on the Mtn House
    sleeping pad
    pot for heating up water
    spork
    550 cord

Talking

Knew i would forget something
    9 oz therma rest small sleeping pad
    i roll tp
    oakley sunglasses
    champstick
    titanium spork .6 oz
    MSR towel super lite weight .05 oz
    I have the jet boil cooking system, comes with pot...

I know the place im going can get scarce with water up on top. i want to camel up if i need too, so i dont have to come down. Going in wont be trouble for water, i have the spare nalgene for mixing wilderness athlete and measureing how much water. i heard camel back can get messy with drink mix. I'm only bringing a nalgene bottle and a camel pack resivor, the 3 liters of water is the weight of the water in the resivor. just for weight sake i put the weight of water...

Got it, good list by the way.

nature valley granola bar 3 a day. (1080 callories from 4.5 oz awesome!)

Looks like you've got a pretty good list going. I think the calorie count is probably off on the above. I think that works out to 240 calories an ounce which is the same as olive oil, one of the most calorie dense foods there is.

Thumbs up

thanks, thanks for keeping me honost on my gear too. dont want to miss write gear, another guy asked for it on another post, thought would make a good form topic with latest gear. I thought i had it writen down but couldnt find it so i made another one. I just knew id forget some stuff. We were planning on hiking in as far as needed till we found sheep drop base camp and go get them. If sheep move we will too is the plan. What's your guy's strategy on sheep? any insight would be much appreciated, Im getting excited man only
    2 months!

Default Some thoughts

Gatorade-(powdered)( I actually like the crazy bodyforce + Creatine(fruitpunch stuff from wally's)
    really good socks.( 3 pair minimum)
    drybags- these work to store food so critters won't raid camp.They make good pillows.
    15 rounds- 20 are not needed.
    bandana- find all kinds of uses for it.
    I also like those Premier Nutrition cheap bars(Wally's)better than anything other than Probars which cost a king's ransom.
    Backpacker's Pantry- stuff tastes a little better than MH.
    Instant coffee-good for mornings.
    Booker's Whiskey(6oz) in flask.Makes for a great night cap.
    smoked salmon strips- never leave home without them.
    g-2 surefire flashlight
    Petzl headlamp- Early morning stalking and late night trips home.
    boresnake and tiny bottle of borecleaner.
    firestarter(magnesium+3 bic lighters)
    wetwipes- you can make your own but they work better than TP that seems to invariably get wet.
    Sincerely,

Good luck
    Thomas

Red face opps

heres the link http://naturevalley.com/

2 grams is 1.48 oz, oh yes it breaks it down by 1 and two serving, thought it was 1 serving. Thanks buck nelson, and to think i had the next SUPER FOOD...looks like im back to honey roasted peanuts and wilderness athlete bars. 400 caloires for 4 ounces...whats everyone carry for eating on the go thats light weight? besides clif bars, wa bars, power bar? any super foods out there besides my imaginary ones?

I take Powerbars and beef jerky on my sheep hunts plus a good amount of hard candy. Keeps me busy while i'm glassing too.

Smile

I've got thorlo trekking socks, but wasnt sure i was going to pack extrea, maybe 1 wash and 1 wear? or is 3 neccasary

Smile

I like the idea of hard candy...could keep the spirits up too thanks

Take a look at Cool Max also, that's what I'll be wearing on all my hunts this year as my feet sweat like there's no tomorrow. http://www.coolmaxfabric.com/

Default extra socks

They are a great moralle booster.
    3 pair would be my minimum but I hunt a wet and soggy area.

You should also take a pair of crocs or airwalk shoes for camp and watercrossings.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Doogie,

Looks like you have got a great list going on thus far. Be sure to add it to the sheep hunting gear list thread sticky in the gear forum here.

Not to nitpick but the cats meow is more like 2.6 lbs. Also have you tried going on a 10 day hunt cooking two MH meals a day with only one small fuel canister?? Might want to throw an extra one of those in there based on the preformance I got out of those small fuel canisters the last couple years with mine. I figure one small canister per person per week, but thats just me. And again good list.

i have the warm thorlo's and the thorlos with coolmax, i heard thorlo are awesome for helping feet not get so beat up. I hear coolmax is awesome. I dont sweat too bad, we're going up elklutna today so were going to test them out again. last time got feet blistered but i wasnt wearing a liner adn i had new boots on. Wore them 13 miles in three days hope there getting worked in.

Cous Cous or instant mached potoatos sure make a mountian house strecth out a little further. just dump them into your mountian house and add an extra cup of boiling water.

One place I don't scrimp is food! I carry alot of food in. Leftover food can always remain behind for the critters to take advantage if you can't spare the weight or space to take it with.

I went for 9 days last season into the DCUA, we hiked 80-90 miles in that time and we ate near every bit of food during that time. Some food stuffs I remember taking:
    2lbs cheese
    2lbs dry salami
    2lbs dried fruit
    2lbs each of 2 diff. flavors trail mix( nuts, dried fruit, choc. chips etc.)
    1 Mtn house per evening
    instant oatmeal, 2 per morning
    tea bags or instant coffee
    18oz jerky
    1 container powdered gatorade
    gum
    clif bars, 1 a day plus a few extras

I carried 2, 1 liter nalgene bottles. 1 always had water the other was gatorade. It worked very well for me. I always had plenty of energy and my electrolytes were maintained. I carried a water purifier as well.

A couple things that proved invluable to me was super glue, a trekking pole, ultra lightweight tarp, bandana and a small pocket knife.I also like to put a shot of footpowder in my socks at home before I pack them, then, place them in a zip lock bag. You and your feet will be gratefull.

For camp shoes I used sandals.

Gloves, 1 pair leather, 1 pair polypro liners that will fit inside the leather pair.

Knit hat and baseball hat.

My luxury item was a closed-cell foam pad to sit on.

And for the first time I wore my nylon convertable pants hunting. Instant shorts if needed. Warm in the mornings( easy to slip on the polypro longjohns if more warmth is needed), cool when hot and sunny. Very durable and natural color ( as was all of my clothing) and they have cargo pockets. They were ideal for me.

I would not recommend taking the camelback. I briefly considered taking mine, decided not to and was gratefull I left it behind. Water should be fairly easy to come by. Whenever I am at a source I consume as much as I can everytime, then fill my bottles. Don't wait to feel thirsty . I drank 1.5 - 2.5 gallons a day while sheep hunting.

Default Sheep hunt gear list

Doogiehauz--You might want to include extra batteries for your flashlights and the GPS as well as anything else that takes batteries;a good compass could be helpful if the GPS goes belly up.

Good luck on your trip

Robert

Default Sheep hunts

You hiking in or flying in???? this makes a big difference, that I can explain.

Default sheep hunt gear

I don't see an Iridium phone on the list either, is this a solo hunt? don't forget the Elmendorf motto...always have a wing man !...hehehe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast