Thread: Gulkana Kings

Default Gulkana Kings

Can anyone tell me what the best fly to use for Kings on the Gulkana is? I would be much abliged for your advice? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the best fly to use for Kings on the Gulkana is? I would be much abliged for your advice? Thank you.
    I don't fish the Gulkana much, but I'm sure you cannot go wrong with any of these:

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...html?flypage=0

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Thanks

Hey, I appreciate the advice. I have tried the hareball leech and the egg sucking leech. I have not tried the popsicle. Most of the guys who fly fish on the Gulkana usually use corkies and yarn or some sort of spinning setup. I would like to just use flies if at all possible. But have been unable to find a real consistently effective pattern on the Gulkana.

Take care

Default kings

the best fly fishing is at the mouth using fat fredies or a yarn fly, a bucktail streamer such as you would use for sockeye will work. fish from the bank with boat ready to go hook fish jump in boat fight fish from boat. you will end up in the copper river by the time you get them to the boat.
    good luck

Default Flies

I've had good luck using huge articulated Tinsel flies. They're around 8 inches long with heavy lead eyes. Silver/Pink, and Silver/Blue seemed to be the best patterns. I've caught them on Fat Freddies too, but the Tinsels have caught 10 to 1 compared to the Freddies. Make sure you're close to the bottom and don't let any slack stay in the line as it's drifts through the holes, because they'll pick up that fly and you'll never feel it sometimes if there's slack. Good luck.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    I've had good luck using huge articulated Tinsel flies. They're around 8 inches long with heavy lead eyes. Silver/Pink, and Silver/Blue seemed to be the best patterns. I've caught them on Fat Freddies too, but the Tinsels have caught 10 to 1 compared to the Freddies. Make sure you're close to the bottom and don't let any slack stay in the line as it's drifts through the holes, because they'll pick up that fly and you'll never feel it sometimes if there's slack. Good luck.
    A friend was turned on to the weighted tinsel flies during a successful king fishing trip with a guide. He ties his own now and gave me one.

I like the flashy look, but seems like they would snag bottom pretty easy on a dead drift. Has that been an issue? What's your technique to avoid hanging up?

Based on appearances, I think they would be effective when stripped.

Default Great advice

Great advice fellas. Thanks alot. I appreciate your help.

Default Snags

Tomcat,
    The Tinsel flies can snag up on bottom if they're not drifted properly through holes. I've never had it become a major issue though. Sometimes I need to crimp on a couple of splitshot to just get it down deeper, because that tinsel gives it a bit of "lift" as the current moves along. I've stripped them before, but have better luck just letting is naturally drift through a hole. I keep my rodtip at around a 45 degree angle, pointed downstream and just keep the line as straight as possible, with little strips here and there to keep the fly drifting in the current and no slack. It's really simple to do and is just like nymphing, only with a huge fly.

Default King flies for Gulkana

Tequila Flash! with a 3/0 or 4/0 hook.

How is the Tequila Flash different from the tequila sunrise?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Come on Jack!! You are in class.. now start paying attention to the speaker!! Haaaa!

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by rippinlip View Post
    How is the Tequila Flash different from the tequila sunrise?
    One is a good cocktail and one isn't.

Sorry I must be up past my bedtime....
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    One is a good cocktail and one isn't.

Sorry I must be up past my bedtime....
    I thought that might be someones answer!

Default Sorry inside joke

Well, what do you expect Northwest, you got me all droolin over those huge Wulik Dollies ya'll are catchin. How can I pay attention.