Thread: Boat Gas...how long will it last

Default Boat Gas...how long will it last

My boat sat last year because of the gas prices, I have about 40 gallons of fuel in it and it is a 120 gallon tank. What is the best way to use it or get ride of it? It will be almost impossible to drain it.

I add "Stabil" and it sits all winter. Then in the spring I get nervous, siphon the gas out and put it in my 1988 Suburban, with no ill effects. This spring I did test fire my 50 hp 2 cycle in the yard with muffs on using the old gas. It fired right up, but left a plume of smoke. I think I will siphon again and use fresh gas. My suburban will be happy to dispose of your old gas, it loves it Just my 2c
    NRA Lifetime Member

Default a long time

Not sure where you are, but in interior I have used fuel that has been around for years without problem. I have started snow machines that have been sitting for better than 5 years and run the gas that was in them. I have started up generators, pumps, and lawn equipment that has sat for more than a year wihout problem.
    I wouldn't worry about it to much, but if you want to be cautious, check for water or debris if possible, add gas, and go.
    Or, if you are in interior, you could just give the gas to me?

I'd stick a couple cans of Sea Foam in it, fill 'er up, and let 'er rip. I agree with AK River Rat and I, too, have run gas that is several years old without any problems. Keep an eye on your water separator, just in case.

I fill up every fall and add a fuel stabilizer. Runs perfect come the next spring. I have even forgot the Sta-Bill before and had no problems.

I quit using stabil years ago after finding red residue in one of my atv fuek tanks. All our toys sit mostly unused from Sept till May and the "old" gas runs just fine. Knock on wood, never had a fuel related issue yet.
    Tennessee

Default Don't worry

Troy don't worry about it, the gas in my boat is good and as long as you have a line I'll just tow you around like normal.

Default Might want to drain it or treat very well

It is a big NO NO to leave a gas tank in a boat 1/3 full. Always fill up! Then no way the exposed metal can frost or condensate and leave water in the gas! Plastic or glass tanks shouldn't matter as much.

I am with Snowwolfe, I quite using stabile. Top off and let em sit.

Thumbs up use it...

Buy a can of Seafoam and dump it in your gas tank and go boating. Works for me. Year, after year, after year, etc.

i am a big fan of stabil. I just dont use as much. a little goes a long ways and since i started using it have not had a problem leaving fuel stored.

seafoam..........keep em full at storage time......
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Default Thanks

Thank you all for the feed back...Seafoam it is..

One problem with topping off the tanks is when it gets backed in a heated shop (like for canvas in the winter) the fuel in the tanks expands and is forced out the vents, makes for a big stink. So maybe leave a little room.

Default Gas life

Do a search on Gasoline shelf life pretty revealing. Most claim newer gas will start to lose
    octane rating in 3 months. I started noticing certain small chain saws & some 2 strokes would run but not come off idle. Changed fuel and problem went away. My 2008 Tohatsu OB had 1 year old gas and did not want to run right at high RPM and stalled at lo rpm. Drained carb. and fuel was red in color, added new fuel and it runs fine. From what I read
    you are better off with 5 year old, old standard gas than newer 6 month old fuel.

I have used year old fuel without problems also. I do add some Gumout fuel additive and had nor problems. Where do you buy Seafoam? I have heard of it but never seen it anywhere.
    akraven

Default Seafoam

Quote Originally Posted by akraven View Post
    I have used year old fuel without problems also. I do add some Gumout fuel additive and had nor problems. Where do you buy Seafoam? I have heard of it but never seen it anywhere.
    akraven
    Napa has it!

Cool,thanks

Heck, I am still using three year old gas in my chain saw and weed wacker! If you guys want to get rid of your old gas I will be glad to swing by and pick it up.
    Tennessee