Thread: Shipping Ammo to Alaska

Question Shipping Ammo to Alaska

I'm hoping someone can help me in my effort to obtain surplus ammo through the CMP program. I recently ordered some 30'06 ammo from the CMP in an effort to practice with my Garand and yesterday afternoon I received an Email stating that they had "Exhausted all means to ship the ammo to you and we are refunding my money" Thank You" and thats it. I'm going to call them in the morning but maybe someone out there can explain what could be the problem? When I ordered the ammo they had a price for shipping to the lower 48 and a much higher price for shipping to Alaska and Hiwaii which I paid. I live outside of Fairbanks but only 5 miles from the US post office and the roads are paved to my doorstep so I wonder what could be the problem? Does anyone have expearance with this situation and possiably some advise on how to obtain surplus ammo from the lower 48?

Have it shipped to AML in Seattle. You can arrange with AML to have it delivered to you for a reasonable price. Jim

Default Get hold of CMP...

Specifically, get hold of Orest. They shouldn't have any problem getting your ammo to you. Something doesn't sound right.
    http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=27

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I receive ammo by UPS Ground. The only problem that I have encountered is that when ordering ammo from one of my distributors their computor can't connect UPS Ground HazMat paperwork with air shipment from San Francisco. So once my ammo gets to Anchorage I always have to wait for UPS to contact the distributor to fill out the proper Air HazMat paperwork and then get the ammo sent to me.

Are we talkin bullets or loaded ammo? Just curious.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Isn't it cheaper to just buy the ammo up here rather than pay for the shipping?
    If not where is a good place to buy from in the lower 48?

Thumbs up Problem solved!

I called CMP and the problem was solved by rather than having fedex actually deliver the ammo to my home (It seems I live outside their area of coverage) I will pick it up at the Fedex Depot in person. The problem took two minutes on the phone to square up and all is well. To answer the other questions (SNYD) I am talking about a case of surplus (primed and loaded) 30'06 ammo and my understanding is If you are willing to pick up the ammo from Fedex in ither Fairbanks or Anchorage at there Dedicated Fedex Manned locations you could concievably order ammunition from anyone in the Lower 48 who would be willing to ship with them. Apparently those living in outlying areas that fedex or UPS does not support directly are unable to rely on the US Post to carry it the last leg of the journey so to speak. According to the local Post Master the US Post Office carries absoulty no loaded ammo period. Although it worked for me this time I cannot say I was left with a feeling that gaurentees this will work again and I advise that you prepare for a hefty transport bill if it does but still you will beat the prices you can expect to pay localy. Personally I fear that Alaskans are at the brink of being choked off completly from access to the ammo bargins available to the lower 48. My advice is to stock up boy's. Also one more thing, My hat's off to the folks at CMP and thanks to you folks as well. PS Jim, I'll check out your AML suggestion

So it sounds like FedEx ground. When shipping FedEx ground to Alaska from the lower 48 Anchorage is considered the end of the line. Fairbanks is considered "rural"....hmmm subsisitance, oh, that's another thread haha! It's USPS from Anchorage unless they recently changed it. Regular FedEx is different though.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again