Thread: Future Alaskan!

Default Future Alaskan!

I will be moving to the Nikiski/Kenai area to begin teaching at Nikiski in the fall. I am brand new to Alaska and am wondering what to expect for hunting and fishing opportunities when I arrive there.

Does anyone have some experienced insight into that area? I am looking forward to some good intel about my new surroundings.

If anyone is a Nikiski resident and would like to share it would be especially helpful to hear from you!

Thanks in Advance

JB

Default Welcome to AK

My wife and are retired teachers.
    We live in Kenai during the Spring, Summer and Fall.
    The fishing is fantastic. I am sure your students will
    fill your fishing void.
    Just a suggestion, but get a plane and your pilot's license
    as soon as you can, That is what AK is all about for us.

Have fun.

Default Carstens

Dan Carstens is an Assistant Principal at Nikiski. He is a lifelong Alaskan who can get you up to speed. Welcome to Alaska.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Now THAT must be a good feeling! I remember it well...

Congrat's.

Taylor

JB, you're moving to one of the best recreation areas in the state; awesome fresh or saltwater fishing, early moose archery season, good ice fishing, clamming, best canoeing, near hiking trails, AND you've got a job lined up? Jackpot, buddy.

You'll just have to change one thing... your handle. The "Spartans" are over in Sodotna. Best not to be a "Spartan" out in Nikiski.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Smile Welcome!

The Kenai is a great place to live. Lots of spruce grouse, black bear, some brown bear and moose love the Nikiski area as well as several million mosquitos. One thing no one has mentioned is the title that you will inherit. It is a title of Kenai legend and well known down here. You will be a "North Roader"! Several of my friends were and are. What is a "North Roader"? Well, you will just have to find out for yourself when you get here! Welcome to Alaska!

Default Housing?

What about housing? I have been looking for a place to live in the North Kenai area but nothing has jumped out to me as being "the place". What should I expect to find on a 40K/yr salary?

I would like to rent to start out, but I like a garage or shed to store hunting and fishing gear as well as process game.

Any suggestions?

Default Mich to Ak

Spartangunner, been to Nikiski and flew with Alaska West Air for moose/caribou hunting. Doug Brewer is the owner/pilot and he is "good" people. One of my friends and his family have been friends with Doug for many years and never a bad time. Many memories and I can't wait to get back there. Even if you don't go out with Doug he is a lifelong resident and knows alot about the area and flies all around the Kenai penninsula. Good luck and you will be in for an adventure of your life. Mark, PM sent