Thread: Kenai Reds

Default Kenai Reds

Anybody have any idea how this years Red run is projected to be?
    I don't fish the Red run, but as I found out last fall it is an indicator of how the Bow and Dolly fishing will be in the fall.

Last years low return made for some tougher fishing later in September, which was a little dissapointing. However it did force me to try different areas and techniques which is always a good thing. Plus I found some really good silver fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Anybody have any idea how this years Red run is projected to be?
    I'm projecting it to be mediocre until 2-days before I show up on the 27th of July, then it goes lights-out on-fire, 6-fish limit, non-stop action for the week that I'm there.

I'm fully expecting 750,000 fish to come in and be where I am fishing by the 27th - 31st of July!

Talking

Last meeting they held in Soldotna, indicated they would experience one of the very best ever Lower Cook Inlet Drift Fleet catches. They went on to say that the East Side Setnetters should expect more fish than they can handle, so they are suggesting the need for electric winches to haul in the nets. The Biologist was adamant they impose heavy restrictions on the personal use and sports fishery, because there are likely not going to be enough spawners to meet the minimum escapement goals, to sustain the run. Looks like it is shaping up to be a normal year.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Question Drifter 016

Shouldn't the run of Pinks have made last year a lot better for the trout? I fished quite a bit last fall, also. But thought the pinks added a lot of eggs and meat to the table. Am I mistaken? If so, I sure hope the red run is good. I certainly like the dolly and rainbows until I can't fish them any longer because of ice on my pole. Fly rod, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterlingmike View Post
    Shouldn't the run of Pinks have made last year a lot better for the trout? I fished quite a bit last fall, also. But thought the pinks added a lot of eggs and meat to the table. Am I mistaken? If so, I sure hope the red run is good. I certainly like the dolly and rainbows until I can't fish them any longer because of ice on my pole. Fly rod, that is.
    In the middle river yes. Unfortunately the lack of reds coupled with the abundance of pinks drained the upper of a lot of the bows and dollies that usually would be found there. Plus for a good portion September the middle river was fishing poorly because all the fish were stuffed with pink eggs because there were so many eggs in the water. Once the pinks start to thin out and the number of natural eggs drops the fishing is awesome!!!!

Red face Middle River

Thanks, Drifter. That's usually where I am, between Skilak and Bings somewhere. That explains a lot. I fished there until winter set in. Was ok at first, then slowed down a LOT with pinks everywhere. I'll be trying again soon.

M

The sockeye salmon run forecast for the Kenai River is 2.4 million, which is 27% less than the 20-year average run of 3.4 million.

However, there is considerable uncertainty in the 2009 Kenai River sockeye salmon run forecast.

Age 1.3 sockeye salmon typically comprise about 61% of the run to the Kenai River. The age 1.3 sockeye salmon returning in 2009 are the progeny from an overescapement (1,120,000) into the Kenai River in 2004.

A sibling model based upon the return of age 1.2 sockeye salmon in 2008
    (193 thousand; 20-year average: 247 thousand) predicted a return of 1.8 million age 1.3 sockeye salmon to the Kenai River. While a fry model based upon the abundance of sockeye salmon fry rearing in Skilak and Kenai lakes in the fall of 2005 (41.9 million; 20-year average: 18.5 million) predicted a return of 3.5 million age 1.3 sockeye salmon.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Thanks for all the info guy's!!!
    So on paper it looks like it will be a normal return.
    Weather it is or not only time will tell.
    I new well in advance of my trip last year that the numbers were low and that the dolly and bow fishing would be a little tougher.
    98 days and counting!!!!