Thread: King Salmon Tag Questions

Default King Salmon Tag Questions

I noticed a $10.00 King Salmon Tag is required (resident), primarily for anadomous kings (salt water salmon migrating in fresh water to spawn) while fishing is fresh water I asume, and was curious if any one knows if it's neccessary to buy this tag if an individual is only planning to fish in "salt water" for kings? Also if salt water king fishing, individuals are allowed to harvest 2 kings per day, do these salt kings still need to be recorded on the $10.00 king tag as I believe the tag is only for fresh water or anadromous king salmon harvest? Thanks in Advance.

i can't speak for other parts of the state, but if you are fishing cook inlet/kachemak bay you need a king stamp , and all kings caught between april 1 and (iirc) september 30 must be recorded.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

It doesn't matter if you are fishing in marine or freshwaters, you still need a king salmon stamp. The reason the regulations clarify anadromous king salmon is because you wouldn't need a king stamp while fishing for king salmon stocked in a lake. The back of your license lists the waters which have annual limits for king salmon. Those areas which have annual limits require you to record your harvest on the back of your sport fishing license (not the stamp itself). Cook Inlet is the only saltwater area in Southcentral that has an annual limit for king salmon. See page 15 of the Southcentral Regulation summary booklet for more information on annual limits.

Thanks for all of your response. That helps.