Thread: Permit App Question

Default Permit App Question

Well, nothing like waiting until the last minute. Curious if anyone knows the answer to this question.

Can I apply for a resident-only hunt if I am not a resident yet, but will be as of the start of the hunt? The online system won't let me do it.

You have to have a resident hunting license to apply I beleive or they will DQ you from the drawing.

I copied this from the F&G website and as far as I can tell, you have to be here 12 months before you can hunt sheep, goat or grizz/brown bears as a resident. The highlighted section is the only thing I cold find that might answer your question. I'd call F&G to make sure though.

Resident means (A) a person (including an alien) who is physically present in Alaska with the intent to remain indefinitely and make a home here, has maintained that person's domicile in Alaska for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding an application for a license, and is not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another state, territory, or country;

Yeah, that's good stuff there, but I'm not sure a "license" and a "permit" are the same. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that as long as you would be a resident by the time of the hunt, you were ok. However, that may have been in reference to draw permits for sheep, goat, and brown/grizzly, and the associated guide requirement. Of course, I surfed all over the AKF&G site last night and couldn't find that either, so who knows!

I'm trying to apply for a "residents-only" moose permit.

Thanks for the input!

Well you cannot get the permit without first having the license so I think that pretty much answers your question.

Quote Originally Posted by JRaw View Post
    Well, nothing like waiting until the last minute. Curious if anyone knows the answer to this question.

Can I apply for a resident-only hunt if I am not a resident yet, but will be as of the start of the hunt? The online system won't let me do it.
    copying this from page 15 of the regs under Permit tickets and reports.

"-You may apply for a permit as an Alaskan resident only if you qualify as a resident by the start date of the hunt"

but youd better hurry!