Thread: Coming from TX, should I be worried yet?

Question Coming from TX, should I be worried yet?

I am heading to Sitka in early July with a group of 6 good friends of mine. We all went to Ketchikan last year, and are trying a different area this year.

Being from TX, it's obiously hard for me to keep an eye out on how the fishing is going other that forums such as this, or the AK fishing stats on the State website. I am honestly a little concerned about some of the threads talking about the "low" or "slow" #'s of kings that are talked about in some of these threads.

Last year, we showed up a week after the slot was raised to over 48", and thus we did get any keeper Kings in the boat. We did however enjoy our fair share of pink, chum, a few silver, and halibut, and rockfish!

Should I be getting worried about possible major changes on the horizon due to early dismal #'s, or be excited about the potential of a later run? I may be fretitng over nothing, but to be honest, it's gonna cost us approx $3500 (all in) for the whole trip, and that's not chump change in my opinion.

I appreciate any thoughts that you might be able to share with someone so far away from the action.

dont worry about it. just come up and go fishing it is what it is when you get here. if you are spending $3500 bucks and worried that you wont get your moneys worth in fish then you should go to safeway.just come up have fun in the bigest state in the USA (just had to throw that in)

The discussions that you have seen regarding #'s of Kings in the last 2 weeks or so are about the Cook Inlet fisheries and not about SE. It is very difficult/impossible to predict what the actual runs are gonna do and timing of the run anywhere. If we could do that, then fishing would be................. I understand that $3500 is a lot of money to not "know". I've been there many times. Over the years, I've learned to just take in the journey and enjoy the wonderful scenery and experience what Alaska has to offer. Cathing fish is a just bonus. If you've done your research and planned correctly then you've given yourself the best possible chance. That's all a guy can ask for. Have safe trip and know that your family and friends want you home safe.

I agree with you both! The experience was WONDERFUL last year. Thanks for the thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by bbolin02 View Post
    I may be fretitng over nothing,
    I think you probably are.
    I've fished S.E. for 20 years now and never seen as bad a king year as last summer, it may not be a banner year but I'm willing to bet its a hell of alot better then last year. Don't worry about another 48" minimum on kings, that won't happen.

For the money spent fishing is a no win game if thats how one looks at it. Our family spends thousands of dollars on fuel and boating expense just to get a few hundred lbs of salmon and halibut. We could go down and buy it for far cheaper but we like to fish and get out of the house.

Default my first

Last year was awful by all accounts but it's the only year I caught my first king!
    Took my wife and 2 kids and we got 1. Expensive? sure! worth it? you bet!
    Don't worry, you will have a good time and meet good people. You will catch fish and next year you'll look back and smile....real big, just like the photos of you with your fish.

Quote Originally Posted by bbolin02 View Post
    I am heading to Sitka in early July with a group of 6 good friends of mine. We all went to Ketchikan last year, and are trying a different area this year.

Being from TX, it's obiously hard for me to keep an eye out on how the fishing is going other that forums such as this, or the AK fishing stats on the State website. I am honestly a little concerned about some of the threads talking about the "low" or "slow" #'s of kings that are talked about in some of these threads.

Here's a BIG WELCOME! from a fellow Texas expatriate. I recently moved up here from Euless, which is near Texas Stadium. I've been posting on a
    fishing site down south that if one needs a hook-up in the Mat-Su area, then my cousin could give ya the in(s)-and-out(s), where to fish and where to avoid, as he has lived here for many years.

Right now he is down in Ninilchik working; and time permitting he'll be fishing for Kings @ the Ninilchik River and Deep Creek this weekend,
    and possibly the next. When he gets back into the Mat-Su area, we'll
    be hammering the rivers and creeks. I'll let you know how our
    trips go.

The kings seem to be all over in SE right now... even the crummy cruise ship trips in KTN are catching fatty kings left and right this week... Juneau is having great luck down along DuPont, Bishop and Arden, and I can only assume Sitka is enjoying the same good times...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Very few comming in for the Wrangell King derby the last couple of weeks.I believe a 43 #er is top fish so far